Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd will be 3 in July and still wakes several times a night many nights.

Here's our history:

She co-slept full time until she was 2. We then moved her to her own bed to start the night, bringing her in with us when she woke. We nightweaned at about 28 months, thinking that would help her sleep. It did, to an extent. She slept through the night for the first time in her entire life a few weeks after nightweaning. But that has not gone on to be a habit. She sleeps through the night here and there, but not very consistently. She does NOT sleep well in our bed, so now when she wakes, either dh or I go and sleep with her in her (double) bed. But this is getting to be almost every night now. And even when one of us sleeps with her, she still doesn't sleep all night long. She still usually wakes several times a night.

Dh and I are SO tired! Our 6-year-old ds woke at least once a night until he was 4, but it was just a matter of bringing him into our bed when that happened, and everyone would go back to sleep for the rest of the night. Not so with this little girl. I just need to know if there is something we are missing, or if we are just to the point where we are going to have to wait it out until she starts sleeping all night on her own. We have explored everything such as making sure she's not too hot or cold, etc. Whenever she has good weeks where she sleeps better, it doesn't last very long.

Is there anything else we can do, or just accept that the nightwaking will continue indefinitely?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I personally have a LOT of trouble staying asleep at night - maybe I would start looking at what the usual recommendations are: like getting plenty of exercise (this makes a huge difference for me), same awake and to bed times every day, eating well (plenty of protein? Not too much sugar too late in the evening?), no irregular napping, etc. I don't have any experience with this as a parent, though, I just know what works for me!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I sound like a broken record with this, but how about putting her little bed next to yours? That way, she's not in your bed but she's still right there and can be comforted without one of you having to wake all the way up and go to her. My DD is usually comforted just by my voice or by being able to reach out and make sure I'm there, but I still have my own space.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm so sorry! Unfortunately I have no advice, but I can tell you that it's nothing you did in the past to cause this now. We did most things opposite of what you did - no co-sleeping when younger, bottle fed past a certain age, etc. We have the same exact issues in our house. Our DS is prone to sleepwalking, bad dreams, etc. He wakes 2-5 times per night, and while he prefers to be in our bed, he will still wake up through the night. He'll be 7 in August. Our dd has no problem starting out in her room. However, she's up 1-2 times per night (sometimes she'll be up for 30 min to an hour!) every single night. She moves into the toddler bed in our room, but that doesn't guarantee she'll stay asleep the rest of the night. Really, we don't bother going to bed much before 2 am - what's the point? We're tired anyway, kwim? Hopefully someone will come back with a magic solution so you and your family can get some better sleep at night!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure irregular napping is part of the problem, but I don't know what to do about that either. She's in that very long phase of dropping naps, but I think it's going to be quite awhile before she moves on to no naps at all. She does sleep better at night on the days she doesn't nap...for a night or two. But then she's either so incredibly tired that she MUST nap, or she's so incredibly tired that she sleeps even worse because she's overtired.

She has a double bed, and there is no room in our bedroom for it. I guess I could get a little toddler bed or something, but I think she would be picky about the mattress--she would never sleep on a crib mattress well. She really likes her bed! I would be fine to have her sleep with us, but when we try that she tosses and turns even more. She likes her space, for sure (but she also likes a human presence in that space). I agree that she wants our comforting presence, even though she doesn't want us touching her. Though she still wakes a lot even when we are near her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.