Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got rid of ours January 2002 and have never looked back! WHAT drastic improvement in all our lives.

My family didn't have one when I was growing up (till 7 or 8) but once we got one it gradually became a family "member". I had no idea how addicted I was (we were!) till we got rid of it. Full-blown withdrawals! Headaches, mood swings, fatigue and all.

Now I can't imagine how we ever found the time to set there and watch it and still get everything (that we still don't have enough time for!) done. :LOL

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Someone recently posted, I believe, in parenting issues, about how much her son's behavior improved after getting rid of it a month ago.

I grew up in a TV-free house until about 12 or 13 and I'm so greatful to my parents for it. DH and I have a television, dvd and vcr but no access to "TV" - no cable, no antenna, etc. and it will be staying that way once we have kids.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooh! that'd probably be a better place for this. :LOL I'm still rather newish here.

We debated keeping the TV for VCR purposes, but honestly there's nothing we would WANT to see on there we can't get other ways and there are still detrimental effects of even that (of course everyone has to choose what they're comfy with
).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, us! We do have a VCR, but no TV. I had TV growing up, and it was very strictly monitored - we only watched a few selected shows. I often felt "out if it" because I wasn't up on the whole pop culture scene, but now I am so grateful for that! We had TV for a while, and if it were possible to only allow two or three channels into the house and delete all advertising, we would probably do it. But we were overwhelmed with the hideous junk everywhere on TV, and have read so many very different studies and theories on why it is bad for our children's development and learning - not to mention our own lifestyles. We love not having it!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

No Television Here!

And, at the risk of hijacking the thread, I thought you might be interested in some "cards" I "threw on the table" regarding television in some other discussions:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...on#post1011158

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...on#post1163004

and this thread started by another person who got rid of it:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=television

and another:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=35696

and, then, last but not least, the thread I started that I was sure was going to anger a whole lot of people. Maybe it did
and they just stayed away and now don't look at anything I post. :nana:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=120784

Edited to Add: This thread started by MamaAllNatural was great and interesting: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=135666 I suggested to her once that she start a NO-TV Mamas thread in FYT...don't think that ever happened.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hijack away!

I've been known to wax rhapsodic over the evils of the boob tube.
It IS *programming* you know. Why on earth did I want to have my family "programmed" again?

Every time this discussion goes around (on another internet board I frequent) I find more reasons to hate it.

speech delays in children because it's NOT interactive
sleep problems because of the artificial light
anger problems because SO MUCH of TV is centered around conflict
acceptance of detrimental cultural phenomenons as "ok" and "normal" (gang violence for instanct)
SEXISM! oy the feminist in me gets angry when I see how women, families, etc are portrayed
the GROSS capitalism.. money money money
the psychological manipulations to sell products
noise overloads
light pattern overloads
politically slanted agendas (NOT just "liberal", there's actually plenty of "conservative" stuff too)
VIOLENCE! gore, horrific stuff
SWEARING! just generally terrible grammar, language and abuse of whatever language is being spoken
a very west-centric worldview
shortened attention spans
depletion of brain chemicals (your brain has trouble differentiating between "drama" on tv and drama IRL)

and just this week a report came out showing that kids who are exposed to TV start puberty earlier! EEEEEEEK!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We've been TV free for a long time, but we recently bought a player we can put in the car for long trips. We're driving half the country away next month but aside from that we have no plans to use it any time soon. We bought national geographic and Imax "blue planet" movies for it though. but yeah, aside from super long road trips we've been TV free for quite awhile. My kids don't know having one or not- since we didn't have one when they were born.

·
Registered
284 Posts
kristi (kd) said:
Yes, us! We do have a VCR, but no TV. QUOTE]

I keep reading references to people having a VCR but no TV but I don't know how this is possible. Is there some separate VCR/screen unit you can buy, or do you just mean that you never use your TV for anything but the VCR?

I haven't watched TV in about three years (DS never has) but I still have a set inside a cabinet. I keep imagining some emergency scenario in which both DS and I are struck down by the flu and I just can't read him any more books...no energy for anything but a kid's movie on tape. And so I hang on to the unwatched TV, in case I ever need the VCR!

I am not at all up on the latest technology. (My TV is a 1982 model that an ex-boyfriend convinced me to buy used, and the VCR was a freebie from a friend who was upgrading.) I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable would explain my options. thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
We're TV free too. We have a TV and a VCR but use the TV only for videos. Dh and I watch the occasional movie (about once a month). The TV/VCR are stored at the back of the closet behind lots of stuff and it takes a long time to dig them out! I have visions of watching good videos with the kids when they are older - but the older they get, the older I want them to be before they start! They are currently 2 and 4, and at this point I can't imagine letting them watch for a long time yet.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
I keep reading references to people having a VCR but no TV but I don't know how this is possible. Is there some separate VCR/screen unit you can buy, or do you just mean that you never use your TV for anything but the VCR?
Just don't hook up the cable (saves money that way too!) or don't have an anntenae (however you spell it!)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
TV Free. And deliriously happy.

Like an ex-smoker, I can't stand to be around tvs anymore. The noise, the commercials, the commercials, the commercials.... the limited attention span of anyone (even me) in the room with it!

We used to have one, used only for VCR/movies, but then found ourselves in a house that had "free" cable, set up by someone else. So, we ended up resorting to our upbringings and watching TV after dd went to sleep, especially South Park and the Dave Chappelle show. We don't have the willpower to not watch when it's free.

4 months later, somehow life goes on! I don't even miss it, and I have better time with dp. Ahem.

But we do occasionally watch DVDs on our fancy computer, especially good anime.

Something about TV really is physcially addictive. And until it's gone, you won't notice it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I love going to my moms summer house b/c there is no TV. My children never ask b/c they don't see one. There is one hiding in the den it's for VHS watching only since there is no reception.

I grew up with out a TV and maybe that is why once I got married I became basicly addicted b/c I hadn't had anything like it.

I wish we didn't have cable. Videos would be enough for the kids every once in a while. But dd can't live without his sports. I think I could go back pretty easily. I sure would get more done around the house if I didn't sit and watch TV.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogit
Newer TVs typically don't have any kind of internal antenna at all. If you don't hook up cable or some kind of antenna you will have nothing but static on the screen.

We had a TV hooked up to a DVD player and VCR but we almost never watched it and then the report about the TV-ADHD link came out and freaked me a little so we gave the TV away. Don't miss it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for your replies to my question about having a VCR but no TV. Since I have an older TV, I can get the basic channels even though I have no cable hook-up and no external antenna. So I guess if I want to get rid of TV entirely, my choices are to 1) buy a newer TV and use it only with a VCR, or 2)...get rid of the TV entirely!

NatureMamaOR, I like your suggestion to use books on tape when sick. I just recently began giving books on tape to my DS (almost 3). We attended a cousin's wedding last month, and I asked extended family if they would like to read a favorite story on tape for DS, complete with page-turn signals so he can follow along in his book. We've gotten a couple of recordings in the mail already, and DS loves them. I think it's a great way for him to "get to know" family he doesn't see often.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sports are a much easier fix! ESPN carries games online often (as do other sports web sites) so my hubby is able to get his hockey fix from time to time as he needs. Really though, we're much happier GOING to the games.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
We don't have a TV, but I do like to watch TV when we are visiting other people who have them. Okay, that's not well put. What I mean is, I do, often addictively and compulsively, stare at the TV screen for hours when other people are watching it in the same room.

:LOL

But we only have a little guy, so it's not so much of an issue for us. Also, I seem to have replaced my TV addiction with a net addiction, and my dh is even a little worse about it. But you all benefit from that!

What I have been thinking is, when my child is old enough to have friends who watch TV, that I would want to allow him to be invited to their houses to watch specific shows. I wouldn't want to totally ban it. Does that make sense to you? For now, I'm just as happy not to have the temptation to put on a video for him. I see why other moms do it and I for sure don't blame them! It's good to know that your child will stay safely parked, sometimes!
But I remember seeing my lively lovely preschooler niece and toddler nephew when zoned out in front of the tube at my MIL's house and I didn't like the way that looked. KWIM?

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
No TV here either! Well, there's a little VCR TV in the store room.

The morning of 911- I turned on the TV to look at the pictures. That morning was the last TV I've watched.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts