Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am 37 and having one around 17 weeks (I guess).  Wondering if I am alone on this one?  Not really worried, haven't had one before (since my last pregnancy was in 2004)would rather be safe than sorry.</p>

·
Registered
420 Posts
<p>They sound pretty dangerous and the panorama and harmony tests are just as reliable without any risks.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>I'm only 33, so my insurance requires a reason to proceed with that test. I'm going to do the quad scan, and if I get a positive then I'll do the harmony test. Depending on your risk factors, amnio might be worth it, but you might want to research other options and find out what your insurance covers first. 99% of the time amnio is safe though :)</p>

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
<p>I won't get one, the risks do not in any way equal or exceed the benefits to me. Injury or infection to me or the baby, miscarriage or pre-term labour are not worth the potential increased information for our family.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What would you do with the information? Would it change how you proceed? Is it worth the risks? Has your doctor/midwife explained fully the risks?</p>

·
Registered
156 Posts
<p>With my family history, there is a reason for me to get this test, but I didn't do it last time and neither will I with this pregnancy. It's just too risky for miscarriage etc. Plus whatever the results were I would still keep the baby anyway, I'll wait until the birth to find out one way or the other. The health of the baby is worth the wait to me.</p>

Reactions: berrypavlova

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
No way!

·
Registered
133 Posts
<p>From what I understand, the new blood tests are just as accurate without the risk of losing the baby but you would have to find out if your insurance covered them.  I had a family member get one in late pregnancy and she went into labor immediately.  For me, the risk would not be worth the information.  I would rather be safe and not lose the baby than be sorry because I lost it.  Just me though.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts