Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids are already beginning to drive me batty and my first grader just finished school today!!!! My four year old is on my last nerve (almost) and im really glad i've got some things planned but I DONT KNOW.....
~~~L

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Huh??? NO-ONe??????????
Y'alll must be pretty confidant mamas!

Tomarro is our first official day with both kids home all day.
I'm able at this point to see it more hopefully as my hormones have calmed down and I'm looking foreward to not driving so much to and from school. Staying home for the most part and getting things done will be nice!

Now, mamas looking on to the summer with kids home... come on.. fess up

~L

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Yeah, my kids aren't going to school, so summer isn't that different for us than the rest of the year.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Dd will be done preschool tomorrow, and the older two get out next week. I'm looking forward to having some lazy days (no sports activites, scouts, etc.). I am definately NOT looking forward to playing the negotiation game all summer! The older two can drive me insane with constantly asking for ice cream, or TV or whatever. Plus, my ds wants a pool for the summer, and there's no way that's happening.

I'm hoping to balance some active days where we go to the park or local events with some more relaxed "veg out" days at home. We do have a couple of vacations planned, so hopefully that will help, too. I did try to space things better this year, too. We have some time away this month, then they have a week of camp next month (the same week
) and then a few days away in August. Hopefully, that will keep them looking forward to the next thing, ykwim?

Our only bummer at the moment is not being able to go to the beach until this darn Red Tide is gone.
:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I was getting nervous about having nothing for them to do all summer long so I hurried up and planned a few things. We have our annual houseboat trip on the lake in Aug. but nothing before then, so I planned a beach camping trip, a trip to Disneyland (we live in OC so this is just a day thing) and a weekend trip to San Diego to go to Sea World and Wild Animal Park. We have our regular park playdates with our friends too and I'm thinking of fitting in a trip to a water park somewhere in there and then we have year round passes to a science museum. Other than that, I'm just planning on doing some cool craft projects and hanging out at our community pool. I'm looking forward to summer
This is the last summer before my oldest starts K.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I actually love summer. My kids and I do better with a schedule, so every morning we organize our activity cards while we eat breakfast. We don't stick to the schedule rigidly -- if they want to play outside between activities, that's great -- but they really like knowing what they can look forward to. And I like knowing what I should organize when instead of suddenly needing to get supplies out for some elaborate art project. It also helps because it means that my chores are scheduled, too. I've gotten more done this past week than I did the entire last month of school.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
lauraess -- The red tide is some kind of algae overgrowth that creates toxins in certain kinds of shellfish. In the New England area, it's not supposed to be harmful to humans unless you eat the shellfish. Our dd is a transplant recipient, though, and her dr's are concerned that her weakened immune system could make her susceptible to illness from it. Hopefully, it'll be gone by late summer, since she's been asking to go to the beach for weeks now!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Summers aren't much different than other seasons for us. The heat does get old, though. Sometimes I feel like we're as stuck inside because of the heat as Northeners must be because of the snow in the winter. I try to have stuff planned for each day, whether it's a playdate or just a special craft. We swim almost every day (our subdivision has a great private pool). Once a week we get together with a friend with kids similar ages to do crafts or bake cookies or just hang out. I don't know, it just doesn't feel that much different to me, but I guess if you're not used to being around your kids 24/7 it would feel different.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Lauraess -- dd has a kidney transplant. She's allowed to swim in either chlorinated pools or the ocean. My mom recently moved to a condo that has a great pool, so I'm sure we'll visit her a lot this summer!

Since we're on the topic of handling the summer, my biggest issue is always trying to feed these three kids something healthy for lunch. They take lunch to school every day (usually sandwiches), so I'd like to be a little more creative and healthy in the summer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Snuggly mama> Good thing you've got mom with the pool, eh? I never thought i'd be a mom at the pool in the summers but look at me now with a YMCA membership! :LOL
I'm a food lover so meals arent usually a problem, aside from the nights im just so tired i cant think or do the dishes to get to the counter

Anyway, At lunch-times we like to have pastas, left-overs, a plate that includes: fruit, nuts, crackers and cheese or spread, Sometimes good ole pb and J or variations such as pb and banana or pb and cream cheese. Hmmm.. what else? Tuna fish. Yogurt and fruit with butter bread.
Hope that helps.

Oh, i like summer too, dont get me wrong. This summer i'm hoping the planning of some activities/camp plus having some goals of my own activities will help. And, my sons class has planned some group play dates at various locations! AT the end of the summer we are all going camping!

~L

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
:LOL If it is so much better during the school year with kids in school, maybe I should consider putting my kids in school! Summers are nice for us because we take it easy on homeschooling (we hs yr round) and the kids go outside to play more.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Naw, mine are home all year round so summer is the same...just warmer and they are outside more

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi, well today was my kids last day of school for the year, they got out at 11:00. Today's not too bad but already the kids have asked twice for someone to sleep over. Being 7 mos pregnant on partial bedrest I feel a little overwhelmed at the, as was said, the negotiation patrole over the summer. It grew cool today and raining so immediately we're all inside. I'm grateful for that in a way because it's been over 100 and high humidity but the downside is that we're all in the house and excited/noisy.

Our town has summer youth activity every day from 8-1pm where there's gardening, pool instruction, arts and crafts, hiking etc etc free lunch .. you name it. It's a great program as it keeps the youth occupied but the thing is my kids are gung-ho until about mid July then they claim to be bored and quit going. My eldest doesn't want anything to do with it anyway and seems bored if he's not connected to anything electronic. I just don't allow him and limit his access to things trying to get him outside and living a bit more healthy.

My playgroup still meets twice a week all summer with some fun activities planned so we should have a little bit of fun there. Again, with the bedrest issue and being so sluggish and all I wish I could do more but oh well..such is summer.

My older three kids are from my first marriage and so they spend part of their summer (every other week) with their Dad so I envision some quieter time.

Still though...won't exactly be a walk in the park but I know my attitude makes all the difference.

Good luck, Kitty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts