Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I am 22 weeks pregnant w/ our first baby. I've been feeling him/her kick for almost a month now and we had our u/s yesterday and I got to see the baby. So cool.
I also had an early "dating" u/s too at 7.5 weeks.

But even though I FEEL my baby, I have SEEN my baby, I can LISTEN to my baby when I want (we rented a doppler and are probably using it maybe once every two weeks or so)... this pregnancy still doesn't feel real to me. :p I told one of my friends that if it doesn't sink in soon then I am going to get a BIG shock in December!

I mean for my early u/s and even for the one yesterday, I felt the whole time almost like I was watching someone else's baby on the screen. Rationally and intellectually, I KNOW there is a baby growing in me that will eventually have to come out, but it still just doesn't feel real. I thought it would when I started feeling him/her kick, and I thought it would when my tummy got bigger, etc. But it keeps feeling like it's just me instead of me+1. I love my baby and I hug my tummy all the time and am so excited to meet him/her later this year but I wonder sometimes if I am just "forcing" the excitement. :p

Anyone else have these feelings still this far along? :p

Andrea
edd 12-9-06

· Registered
3,390 Posts
It's not for me either. And the uncomfortable stuff has set in, the baby kicks all the time, I think I just must be dense.
Seriously, if it doesn't set in soon, this kid will have no name and no clothes. I haven't even thought it through that far yet. Oh well, I figure I can only deny it till dec. then I will have absolute proof that this kid exists.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
Sometimes it's just so surreal. After our loss last year, my hubby and I sought treatment for infertility where we discovered that he has very very abnormal sperm, so we thought for sure we'd have to do insemination at least. However, at the conclusion of testing, we found out we were pregnant. I'm now 20w5d into the pregnancy and have been feeling kicks regularly for the past 3 weeks or so.

I think for me it's a combination of the loss and the hopelessness we felt after months and months of trying, but sometimes I think this is all a dream and I'm going to wake up and not be pregnant anymore despite the fact that the 4 ultrasounds I have had showed a perfectly healthy baby. It's just sometimes difficult for me to process the idea that I have a little life growing in there and he's due to be born in just a few short months, but I'm certainly happy about it!!

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Nope, not yet. And I'm talking about DC#1 LOL!!! Seriously, both DH and I will just look at each other sometimes and one of us will blurt out, "OMG, we have KIDS!!!" it is all so surreal, even with DC#1 and the others being around for years now LOL.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
me neither. we're 20 weeks today. I've got clothes up the wazzu and tons of CD in multiple sizes, i had my dad make me a changing table.

Baby kicks all the time, i'm in maternity clothes now.

I think some of the things that contribute to the whole unreal feeling is that I don't have any negative things going on with my body. I'm not sick, no unusual aches and pains, no cravings, etc...
We also haven't done anything different to our apt. to make it baby ready, you know? No nursery, so nothing there. We're waiting for the car seat... So, the only thing that is changing around here is my belly. And some people don't even notice that!

· Registered
1,243 Posts
I feel the same way. Aside from being more careful with my diet (except for my sudden obsession with ice cream- ugh. what happened?) and the kicks I'm feeling, nothing seems different. My belly is rounder, but it certainly isn't big enough for me to notice unless I look at it carefully. We haven't bought a bunch of stuff (or actually, a single thing).

Maybe it will feel more real when I am really big and uncomfortable. Or during the birth? After the birth? If sierratahoe is to be believed, it may never seem totally real

· Registered
706 Posts
I'm too busy with my other kids & life to really notice I'm pg again. Other than the fact I get to be in a new DDC it seems like there's really no difference. I'm 23+ weeks....December will be here before I know it & I'll be freaking out! LOL

Shannon

· Registered
1,193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATruck
Aside from being more careful with my diet (except for my sudden obsession with ice cream- ugh. what happened?)
Hahaha me too. I don't know what the deal is, but I can't eat enough of the stuff. I ate a pint of ice cream the other night and then made my husband take me out for a cone! It's crazy! I don't crave any sweets other than that, so I guess it's not too bad.

· Registered
2,625 Posts
Does anyone know WHY pregnant women love ice cream so much?!? I am definitely IN that club. YUM!!!!

I sway back and forth between KNOWING I am having a baby and being completely astonished. Just the very thought that there is a person in my belly is enough to make me completely astonished! If I don't think about it TOO hard it's more real to me than if I think about it REALLY hard. I think, anyways... LOL!

· Registered
273 Posts
I'm in this boat too. Dh said to me (jokingly) last night as he was rubbing my belly, "maybe you're not really pregnant, maybe it's psychological". and i was like - 'DONT SAY THAT TO ME!! - dont you know that i think about that all the time!?' He of course thinks i'm crazy (we have heard the hb twice, are having our one and only u/s on monday, and i am starting to feel kicks) but honestly sometimes i really have to convince myself that I'm not making this all up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.