Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had GBS colonization in past pregnancies?

How will you manage it this pregnancy?

I was negative for my first two births but when I was pregnant last fall I had a colonization of my urine. GBS grew out in the inital urine culture my midwives did on the first visit. I lost that baby so never had to deal with it later on.

I think this time around, I will have the swab at 36 weeks and go the chlorhexidine route when I am laboring if the swab is positive. I have fast labors and hopefully will again so that is helpful, though with my second, my birth waters broke several hours before the onset of labor. Hopefully that won't happen again.

I have been eating a lot of live foods like miso and kefir. I am also taking grapefruit seed extract a few times a week to help balance my natural flora. I think I will step this all up once the third trimester rolls around.

I would love to talk with other Mamas who have experienced this in the past/are experiencing this to see what ideas/plans you guys have.....

ND

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was positive with my last pregnancy. I took the IV antibiotics in labor, and will likely do so again if I'm positive.

I've reviewed quite a bit of the research, and feel that it's probably a bit safer to take the Abx, or at least it's a wash, in terms of babies' outcomes (yes, I recognize that with careful monitoring, etc., you can also minimize the risk of a strep infection)
In any event, I didn't feel strongly about it, so it's not a battle I would fight (birth center birth).

Also, I've never had a problem with yeast infections, so that's not a concern for me.

GL!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I was GBS+ with my last pregnancy. I took the antibiotics during labor. I am hoping to do what I can to ensure I test - this time. I have not done much research yet though.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I was under impression that if you ever were positive for GBS you always be. I am wrong? They never tested me with my son who was born 9 years ago, they told me it during the last pregnancy that I m/c.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5th, you often are positive in subsequent pregnancies if you have been prior, but not always. It seems that many women can control it by maintaining a healthy body flora. We shall see. I never was positive before and now I am curious as to what my swab will show this time.

ND

1 - 5 of 5 Posts