Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm 14 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I've been vegan for a few years and am confident that it's possible to stay vegan and have a healthy pregnancy. I know which foods are high in protein, but I am wondering you all are really eating? What does a day's meals look like? I try to limit my soy intake and my midwife specifically told me to limit it to 1 serving/day. I have been craving the whites of hard boiled eggs - so I have eaten some. Though I don't feel good about it mentally. I think my body was craving more protein. So I need some ideas. I just don't find beans very appealing lately.

Also, for those of you who have already had babies or are near the end of your pregnancy, how much weight did you gain? I am just curious if vegans gain less weight. I have gained net 1 lb so far (lost 2 early on then gained 3). I feel like I have been pigging out so I was surpised that I hadn't really gained much - though I do expect that to change since you're not really supposed to gain much in your first trimester anyway.

Thanks!

Cindy

· Registered
501 Posts
I'm not vegan, but I am a vegetarian--and I tried not to rely on a lot of soy throughout my pregnancy, as well. I craved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!! So I ate a lot of nut butters. We've always ate a lot of beans, as well. But, I do and did eat eggs--actually, I breed/raise chickens. Not vegan, I know, but if you really want to eat eggs (you said that you were craving them?) could you search out a source of eggs that would be acceptable to you from a humane/animal rights standpoint? Maybe a local farm that truly free-ranges their hens? I feel quite comfortable eating eggs as a vegetarian because they are my own eggs, and I know that my girls live the good chicken life here!
But, I think that it is absolutely possible to be a vegan and get enough protein, etc., and have a perfectly healthy pregnancy--but I also think that eggs are awfully good nutrition. So if you really want to eat them and/or are concerned about getting enough protein, I think that maybe you could find a middle ground somewhere between your beliefs and what you want to eat...Also, if you do decide to eat eggs, keep in mind that the yolk is where the good stuff is! So eat whole eggs.

I gained about 30 lbs during my pregnancy, but like I said, I'm not vegan...I think I gained less than 5 lbs my first trimester. It really piled on the last couple of months! Whew! And some of it is still hanging on, a year later....

Good luck, and of course congrats on the new little one on the way!

· Registered
388 Posts
I'm vegan and have been for 10+ years. Was, of course, vegan with my first and am now in the third tri with my second. My diet really isn't any different than when I'm not pregnant. And with my first I gained about 50lbs (lost it all after) which I think is just genetic.

· Registered
827 Posts
I'm veg. but not vegan. I'm finding it hard to keep anything down right now, but I'm hoping my love of all things bean will return to me soon. I've been meaning to make some tofu smoothies, but I had actually forgotten about the soy warnings. Is there a hierarchy of badness for soy products? (Yes, I know it's not a word, but I'm tired and trying to brush my teeth without gagging).

Sorry, but I had to laugh at this:

Quote:
I feel quite comfortable eating eggs as a vegetarian because they are my own eggs
I had totally different eggs on the mind!

· Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm vegan, and nearing the end of my pregnancy. I've had a few "lapses", shall we call them, out of desperation to find something to eat, so I've also had a few eggs and occasionally some cheese. Again, I don't feel so great about that mentally, but the desperation got to me.

I've gained about 23 lbs so far. (But I am 3 apples tall.) I gained most of my weight in the second tri, though I did gain maybe 6 or 7 lbs in the first tri. I really think weight gain, if you're eating healthily, is not something you can control too much. What happens, happens.

I eat a lot of nuts, nut butters, and beans. I also make a soy protein smoothie most days. I sometimes switch it up and make it with rice protein powder. And I also have some hemp protein powder that I mix into oatmeal or something.

Depending on who you talk to
, there is kind of a hierarchy of "soy badness", but I'd say it's really just like the hierarchy of any food badness. IMO, less processed is better, so edamame, tofu, and soy milk are better than soy protein isolate, for example.

· Registered
188 Posts
I've been vegan for 11 years and my 20 month old son is vegan too. During pregnancy I gained 25 lbs and lost it all when he was born. My first trimester was rough food-wise. I was very nauseous and I was working on a ship where I wasn't able to get adequate nourishment, especially considering anything green made me sick. But I made up for it in the rest of my pregnancy! We're both super healthy. Good luck! Don't beat yourself up for the choices you make.
Maybe if beans aren't doing it for you you could increase nuts/seeds and quinoa? Quinoa is a complete protein. Oatmeal, brown rice. You could mask your beans by pureeing them.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quinoa reminder! I love quinoa but got grossed out by it during the first trimester - I had a lot of food aversions then - but thankfully they have gone away. I totally forgot about it though. Oatmeal sounds good too.

Thanks for the reassurance. It sounds like most of you just didn't stress about making sure you hit that magical 60 grams number and just went about eating healthy. I guess I won't worry too much either. I believe we can get out best amino acids from greens actually - and now that I can eat them again I am trying to get a lot through green smoothies, salads and blended salads. It's a little leap of faith though bc the protein gram number isn't high but I guess we are able to better use what is there and don't need as much protein as when it comes from a meat source bc we don't have to break it down into aminos before using.

On the egg issue - I did buy some yesterday - organic free range from the local co-op. I just hope that really means free range. I do need to research that more if I'm going to keep eating them. Maybe the farmer's market would be a good place to see about getting humane eggs?

Nice to know the weight will take care of itself. I was just curious. I'm sure my body has it's own ideas so I am just along for the ride. But I do want to make sure I don't gain too much by eating a bunch of junk - otherwise I know it is out of my hands.

Cindy

· Registered
3,976 Posts
i just found out I'm pg again (this will be our third if it sticks). I've been vegan for 11 years, with some wavering here and there. I was almost completely vegan (I ate fish a few times) with ds1 and gained 28lbs. He was 8lbs5oz. I had some dairy and again some fish with ds2 and gained 23ish lbs. He weighed 7lbs at birth.

Since ds2, I have found out I have celiac disease. I'm not sure what to expect during the first trimester because I essentially lived on bread for both pregnancies. I want to do this one completely vegan, but I suspect my body will crave fish.

I do a lot of nuts and nut spreads during my pgs. I used to have lots of processed soy snacks like tofu dogs and the like, but they've all mostly got gluten so I can no longer have those. I suspect I will just eat more nuts and beans.

· Registered
63 Posts
I've been eating lots of tempeh and seitan. My go to dish has been from the cookbook Veganomicon, the broccolini tempeh pasta recipe is AMAZING!

I've slipped a couple times too, I ate a couple slices of pizza last week, but my system does not like dairy so I regretted it pretty quickly.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to know I'm not the only one that has slipped!

My dad just got me Veganonicom (and 9 (!!) other vegan cookbookes - I'll have to try that recipe.

Cindy

· Registered
389 Posts
Ditto on the broccolini tempeh recipe in Veganomincon! I also invented a high protein "mac and cheeze": cook quinoia pasta, mix in a can of refried beans, and mix in some nutritional yeast "cheeze" sauce (I know there is a recipe for it in VCon) and bake at 350 to warm all the way through.

· Registered
2,040 Posts
: With you in spirit until I get pg.

I've heard nothing but great things about vegan pregnancies, and I think I read in one of my many books I just read that vegan babies tend to be of higher weight then their counterparts when born naturally (with an IV of fluids to bulk them up, also no medical conditions such as GD). But, take that with a grain of salt.

Also, being vegan during pregnancy ='s less constipation, that is if you can eat.

About the protein intake, *sigh*, I don't even know what to think some days. Eat great food and eat a lot of it. Enjoy it and enjoy yourself. If someone asks about it, tell them you bought a special protein gram counter
I'm sure you are doing just fine.

Best wishes, can't wait to be in your shoes. (although I really don't want to crave things I am not comfortable eating, that worries me).

· Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I'm not vegan but vegetarian. I'm not too knowledable about the best foods to eat so I'm taking notes on everything
I try and eat a variety of healthy foods but I don't keep track. I'm just now moving on from the first trimester and my food aversions and gagging have subsided so I think I'll be able to do a lot better from here on.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'll be lurking!

· Registered
2,638 Posts
I am only 8w3d and this is my first vegan PG. I've been vegan for a year. So I don't know what advice I can offer you except I try to limit processed soy. If I was going to make a smoothie (I don't need that many extra calories yet) I would use Hemp protein. It is non-soy and it is not an isolate. Isolating the molecules makes them more acidic. Since the ideal diet is 80 alkaline and only 20% acidic, I try to avoid isolates.

HTH!

· Registered
127 Posts
I was vegan for my first preganncy and gained 24 lbs total, most of it was in the last trimester though. I am vegetarian with this pregnancy and don't try to over think any food group, even protien. We eat a lot of mexican food in my house, so i eat a LOT of beans, in addition to soy proteins. Maybe you can try making some bean enchiladas, or brown rice and bean burritos?

· Registered
815 Posts
I'm raw vegan, was just plain old vegan during my first pregnancy with the few exceptions of pizza eating. First pregnancy I ate quite a bit of soy but haven't with this one. I ate lots of beans, quinoa, millet, oatmeal with wheat germ/flax meal, lentil soups, salads, fruit, and squeezed my own oj. Oh, and lots of cookies like Uncle Eddies, or whatever I made.
I gained 40 lbs., ds was 6.5. This pregnancy has been really different with being raw, but also lots of family stress with a sick df. Anyway, this time (i'm 39 wks) I gained 22lbs eating lots of green smoothies, green juices, salads, brazil milk, almond milk with cacao, coconut smoothies with a green powder and hemp powder, coconut ice cream, fruit, raw breads and hummus, veggies, etc. It's been an easier experience since I have more energy. Anyway, I have not worried about protein etc. at all during either pregnancies and felt good through both. You will do great!! Have a great pregnancy. Mary

· Premium Member
6,672 Posts
I'm not PG (that I know of.. love the 2ww!) .. but I had a mostly vegan pg with ds (i ate cheese sometimes, and still do sometimes
) I gained about 35-40 lbs and he was 6 lbs 11 oz. I had a protein shake a few times a week.. but with my next pregnancy I probably won't.

· Registered
8,956 Posts
PG vegan here! I've been vegan for about 10 years now, and this pregnancy has been no different. I'm 32 weeks along now. I do lean on soy, I must admit, b/c it is simply the easiest and most abundant source around me. Don't forget about the beans, nuts, etc though. It's totally possible to get "enough" protein as long as you eat healthfully. In other words, don't load up on too much other stuff (i.e. junk) b/c you won't have room for the food you do *need* to eat.

I kept a food log for awhile and would suggest you do the same. It will really help you to see if you have any nutritional holes in your diet.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just finished my 3 day log my midwife - will be curious what she says. I also logged on fitday on those days and I did hit 60 - but it included egg whites.

I used to be 100% raw. I am trying to eat as much raw food as possible along with beans, etc. I'm finally back to my green smoothies and blended salads. Right now I am loving a young coconut blended up with a few cups of spinach. I had a nice blended salad for dinner. I did buy some hemp protein but I find it grainy and can't stand to put too much in my smoothies. I do better with the hemp seeds. I am a bit turned off them still bc I put them in a smoothie before the nausea was completely gone and it really turned my stomach!

I always looked at bean/rice burritos as very carby and heavy and sort of a junky indulgence - but it's kinda fun being able to eat them regularly. I had one for lunch today. Mmm.

Cindy

· Registered
620 Posts
I'm mostly vegan (the occasional dessert sometimes lures me over to the dark side). I didn't go easy on the soy at all for DS and he's fine. I always had a Clif bar in my purse since I'd get nauseated if I didn't eat constantly. I gained about 40 lbs., but the last five was mostly water since DS went almost 3 wks post dates. I think you should just be really sure you're getting the right amount of protein and fat for you and your baby. Otherwise, your diet sounds super healthy, so I'm sure your baby is going to be fine.

I read somewhere that The Farm midwives (Ina May Gaskin's group) helped develop a vegan version of the Brewer Diet, which is a high protein diet mainly for combatting pre-eclampsia.

Anyway, take care!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.