Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I went to the dentist today and I have two cavities, one in each bottom wisdom tooth. The dentist told me I should have all 4 pulled b/c: they are a danger to the other teeth b/c they get infected so easily, I will lose calcium from the adjacent teeth (eh??), and I am 26 so they are still easy to pull. I have reservations about pulling them b/c this harping to get them out came before the cavities and I don't see why I should remove something that nature put there.

That said, I have read the archived thread and that helped a lot. Smilemomma, I understand that you will say they should go! However, does anyone have a reason why I should just get the cavities filled and leave the teeth?

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Smilemomma! One of the top teeth is impacted (only a point out) but that's the only other relevent thing I can think of.
Mainly he said they were just not important and hard to keep clean/cavity free so thus they should go. I did like him b/c he told me some reasons, before I just got the "because they should" answer. I never got this from my dentist in MD and I had my wisdom teeth then. Just since I got to OH have I got the lecture.

There was nothing in the thread specific to wisdom teeth but I'll search the rest. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I decided to go ahead and have it done. I'll be dosing up with the arnica and hoping it will be quick and easy. Doesn't happen until the end of next month.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have a good reason why not to have them pulled out - it HURTS like HELL!!! lol
I had one pulled out, and that's it for me I tell you! The pulling was not the worst part, but the 4 weeks of healing and becaming addicted to painkillers was really bad.
I still have 2 left, and I am taking GOOD care of them. One never came out, thanks God for that and will come out.....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Mr. Dentist said they are simple extractions and three should come out super easy. Only one might take a bit of work and even that one he said should be easy.

I have two cavities so I need to either get them filled or pulled, I couldn't find anything in the archives about really good reasons to keep them and since they are getting infected I figure I should have them out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I actually heard that wisdom teeth directly influence the heart and later in life can cause heart attack (somehow- probably when they go bad). Every tooth is "connected" to certain organ and wisdom teeth go with heart. I've heard it's good to have them out.........but it DOES hurt so much!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I just want to add in a positive wisdom tooth extraction experience. I was young when I had mine out (18). I woke up one day to a headache so bad on one side that I could not open my eye--and I instinctively knew this must be my wisdom teeth talking. I went to the dentist at 5 pm, and he immediately (after I tried arguing, anyway) pulled the worst of the 4. Just novacaine, three shots for the tooth, not even headphones. Two days later, the other three came out--again, just loaded up with local--no gas or general. I took nothing stronger than ibuprofen and within 2 days I was chewing gum (sugarless of course).

I am not a stoic. I had an epidural with ds. But my wisdom teeth were not an ordeal.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Malamama ~ I was totally wrong about the heart and wisdom teeth, I found it in my book and scanned the dental chart and its connection to organs for you. Here it is: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mam...+2.jpg&.src=ph
It's from book called Energy Medicine by Donna Eden, very interesting book. Talks about meridians, and energy work, and stuff like that. Just like every tooth has a connection to certain organs, so does every muscle, and tishues and bones.....it's pretty much what kinesiology is based on - I think.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OK, here is what it says in the book:
Taking the teeth out of a toothache. The same strategy for sedating the meridian (I took it out of context, but she talks about muscles and their connections to meridians) that governs the muscle going through a painful area can be used for working toothaches. Look at the chart (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mam...+2.jpg&.src=ph ) Each tooth is identified by themeridian that governs it. Sedating these meridians will not only relieve pain, it initiates a healing process. I have shown these technique to numerous clients who were seeing me for something else but who were also experiencing pain caused by a cavity that had not yet been treated. In several of these cases, when they did get to the dentist to have the cavity filled, the cavity could not be found. Teeth can be healed! I have had three cavities that were identified by my dentist heal after I sedated the meridian associated with the afflicted tooth daily for about 4 weeks. At the minimum, using this technique to alliviate a toothache can keep you from being debilitated until you can get to your dentist.
OK, the rest you have to read in the book

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Mel, just wanted to see how it went, I have been under enormous pain the last few days, due to a pretty badly infected wisdom tooth. now I have a 101 fever, so I am trying really hard NOT to take anything for the pain, as i dont want to lower the fever...if its helping the infection.

so, I may have to think about getting it pulled, this time (with what, I have no idea) you can pm, if you like...how was it, did it cost alot?

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
I am getting ready to have mine removed too. One has been infected for a couple of weeks and I can't take much more of this. I don't like it, but I started taking antibiotics the other day because the infection and the pain were getting out of hand. I unfortunately have a history of infections getting very serious very fast so I decided to do the antibiotics rather than a stint in the hospital.

A couple of years ago my dentist said the wisdom teeth should come out but to wait until my kids were a little older - I was tandem nursing at the time and had yet to sleep through the night with any of my kids. At the time she thought she could do it in the chair but with this infection she is suggesting full anaesthetic. Yuck! I am not looking forward to this - I just want to get it over with and do all I can to heal well. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MelMel and Shantimama, I'm sorry to hear you're both in pain.

I once again bowed out of getting them pulled. I just keep thinking it's a big scam. (Unlike you guys, I'm not in any pain.) DH had his done in the Navy (not the best docs) and he said it was no big deal. He's allergic to most medicines (we think it's a binder) so he didn't even take anything for pain, and said it was manageable.

Why I think it's a scam -- I went to a dentist when we first moved here and he took xrays and everything was fine but that I did have a small cavity in a tooth (not a wt). I went back six months later and he peeked at my teeth for ten seconds at the end (w/o new xrays) and said the wisdom teeth needed to come out. No mention of the cavity. He then pulled a card out of his pocket for a DDS and said to call him. Being a good patient I called but then got to thinking it was all a little too weird that he just happened to have the card in his pocket.

So, I didn't go back to him. Now I went to this new practice last year and they said I should pull the wisdom teeth. No cavities or anything. I said I didn't want to do that. This year I have cavities in them and have to have them out (but that other one is not mentioned) . Grrr.

I really like the hygentists (sp?) but they have too few dentists anyway. DH was having a root canal done and they numbed him up and then didn't come back for an hour so he left. They called and apologized but at the next appointment still managed to turn a one hour procedure into 3. So what I'm thinking is that I'll go to a new dentist and if I like them and they say there are cavities I will get them pulled.

Lastly, why are smilemomma's messages gone?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some other things... MelMel, I'm sorry you wrote this a few days ago and I haven't responded. I accidentally unsubscribed from all my threads about a month ago. Have you tried clove oil on your tooth? Just put a drop on a q-tip and hold it to the tooth. It will numb it quite a bit. Also, if $ is short (that's what I'm understanding from your message, please forgive me if that is the wrong interpretation) have you thought about going down to the dental school at CWRU? DH did this for a cavity when we didn't have insurance. I can't remember if you have to pay anything at all or if it's a reduced rate. Might be worth it if it's that bad.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
thanks, i am looking up the cwru dental school now! aside from money, i am worried about dd. she still only just eats a few bites of food, so needs to nurse for 95% of her food...but a friend of mine recently had a tumor removed from her jaw region, and she managed it with a nurseling...I am just scared about antibiotics and all those drugs...and recovering, being groggy, who will take care of dd? but I am useless to anyone like this, and am getting more and more concerned about the infection....its been a week now...

thanks for all the tips!

are her posts removed everywhere or just this thread? I guess I could check
: forget it...lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.