Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak

i always envisioned myself making baby food myself, like mashing it up, etc., but since reading about baby-led weaning, it sounds good to me and i think i'll do it when the time comes. it seems very popular here, but has anyone decided *not* to? why? just trying to get all sides before going one way for sure.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
We didn't just b/c DD wanted our food soooo bad, but couldn't pick it up or chew it. She would get so mad and waiting until she could feed herself normal food just wasn't worth it. We started with purees and now we alternate between giving her those, letting her feed her them herself and doing the same with some normal foods (eggs, bananas, etc).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was intent on BFing for at least a year and not giving any solids until close to that mark. But at 9 months DD was wanting our food so terribly bad that we just let her have some. She never liked baby food and if we tried to feed her things that even resembled baby food, she would have nothing to do with it. Even now, at 2, she will eat anything, She is a bottomless pit! And yet only the size of an average 1yo. Go figure!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
We went full ahead with BLW, but if you have visions of making purees and goodies for your baby I don't see any reason why you couldn't combine philosophies and do both BLW (with self feeding) and also sometimes spoon feed some purees.

While we do BLW, I spoon feed my DD things like applesauce or oatmeal, things that would be prohibitively messy and/or impossible for her to feed herself just yet. When we are out somewhere, I will stab things with a fork and feed them to her. I don't follow it as an all or nothing, ykwim? It's whatever works.

FWIW, when I DID try rice cereal and pureed prunes after started BLW (just to see if she preferred purees) DD wanted nothing to do with them. She really wanted food to hold. So you might not even have a choice!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
She really wanted food to hold. So you might not even have a choice!

:

DS#1 wanted nothing to do with purees. I hadn't heard of BLW then. Once I started giving him chunks of food instead, he was much happier.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:

We went full ahead with BLW, but if you have visions of making purees and goodies for your baby I don't see any reason why you couldn't combine philosophies and do both BLW (with self feeding) and also sometimes spoon feed some purees.

While we do BLW, I spoon feed my DD things like applesauce or oatmeal, things that would be prohibitively messy and/or impossible for her to feed herself just yet. When we are out somewhere, I will stab things with a fork and feed them to her. I don't follow it as an all or nothing, ykwim? It's whatever works.

FWIW, when I DID try rice cereal and pureed prunes after started BLW (just to see if she preferred purees) DD wanted nothing to do with them. She really wanted food to hold. So you might not even have a choice!

I never tried rice cereal to even test it, but this was pretty much our experience so far! DS was ready to try foods.

The only advice I have is be more patient than I was! I'll let him eat whatever he wants whenever and however much he wants. While that appears to work with bf'ing, sometimes I think he eats too much solids and then we are in for a long night til he poops. I did NOT think of that ahead of time...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:

I was wondering this too. Ds is almost 7 months and will try to knock you out to get to your food. He seems to get really upset that he can't have some. When I've offered him any food with consistency he gags and when I give him something soft to mash with his hands he doesn't even try to put it in his mouth. He doesn't have teeth yet either.

Not sure what to do at this point.
:

I was wondering if anyone had tried it but done something else instead, for any reason.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:

I don't see any reason why you couldn't combine philosophies and do both BLW (with self feeding) and also sometimes spoon feed some purees.
I'm doing a mix of BLW and mashed food. I started with BLW at six months, DD sat at the table with us and really enjoyed holding, sucking and gumming bits of food. At 7 months I started preparing her mashed food to give on a spoon as well. I decided to do this because I wanted to be sure she was getting a balanced diet which I found more of an effort with BLW - if I wanted to have just a chocolate spread sandwich for lunch, I felt like I also had to prepare multiple veggies, plain toast, cheese etc for DD, and that took up quite a lot of time with a baby fussing away. So I started whizzing up our meals in the blitzer a few evenings a week and freezing it in cubes. Now I give her some mashed food at every meal, as much as she wants, plus always at least one thing (often several different things) she can hold. I enjoy making the cube meals but am glad I started out the BLW way because she has no problem with eating things with lumps, which some of my friends who started with smooth purees have had.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And now I want a chocolate spread sandwich! =O

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My older 2 started eating around 8 months and were picking up things a bit after that, but my ds3 is dif. He wanted to start eating at 6 mo, he would attack us for our food and get really upset if we didn't share.

He is 9 1/2 mo now and he has been eating meat, avocado, fruits and veggies, almost everything we eat, all just slightly mashed and he loves it. He can hold little teether biscuits but doesn't pick up anything else. He says, "Mo mo" for more (we sign more and say it) and he gets frustrated if we aren't feeding him fast enough. He plays w/it and gets it everywhere though.

I learned to just follow ea baby's cue instead of sticking to any kind of rigid ideal. It's funny how dif ea babe can be. He also started walking at 9 mo, a whole month sooner than my older ones.

Whatever you decide to do will be the right decision for your baby bc you know him best.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
DS eats mostly what we eat. I will try him out on a chunk of food to self-feed, which will have him entertained until I'm about halfway through my meal. Then he gets so frustrated he's not getting enough so he cries. That's when I offer either milk or a mash. I don't doa smooth puree, but I will do a mash with some texture, like mushed sweet potatos and some shredded chicken in it. He loves it. I think the most important element of AP/NFL is respecting the individuals needs. You respect your body's process in birth, and you respect your baby's developmental process as something very individual.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had never heard of BLW so we started with rice cereal which DS HATED! So we moved onto purees ans he enjoyed them for about a month or so. Then he started refusing purees. But he would hold his MumMum rice rusks and munch away. He cut 6 teeth in a matter of weeks at 5-6 months old so I started experimenting with other foods he could hold and he was so happy! Then I came across the BLW thread (I thought it related to breastfeeding so i never opened it before) and since then we have been going more that route. He still eats purees every now and then. I bring a jar when we go out in case he isn't interested in what we have or is too impatient to feed himself. But we follow his cues and boy does he let you know what he wants. And when he's done. Most kids will turn away or refuse to take a bite, but my son takes a healthy bite and then looks you right in the face and spits it back at you!!! messy but funny. He's 8 months now and he will eat anything we offer or he takes off our plates- grilled cheese sandwiches, sausage, jambalaya, pizza, various veggies. Whatever. BLW is not an exact science and I think that as long as you and baby are enjoying the eating process, then all is well. They will tell you what they want...

·
Registered
366 Posts
We did not do BLW. DS did not want to touch anything wet. We tried pieces of chicken, peas, green beans, but he would feel them & immediatley drop them. I enjoyed doing the purees. I found it relaxing to make several meals at once & freeze them. Then pull them out as needed. We keep introducing BLW to him & he'll pick up a chicken nugget, but not a piece of chicken.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering this too. Ds is almost 7 months and will try to knock you out to get to your food. He seems to get really upset that he can't have some. When I've offered him any food with consistency he gags and when I give him something soft to mash with his hands he doesn't even try to put it in his mouth. He doesn't have teeth yet either.

Not sure what to do at this point. :
It could be that he is knocking you out for your food not because he wants to eat it, but is watching you get to play with this really neat new thing he just noticed. It very likely has nothing to do with hunger. My DD also wants the remote when she sees me with it, but I hardly think it's because she wants to watch a favorite show.

If his response to food is to just play with it, that's probably what it is.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I planned on doing BLW, but I just couldn't make it, and my DD was really interested in eating from the get go. After being extremely sleep deprived for a long time I decided to try to give DD rice cereal to see if it might help, she was about 4 1/2 months old at the time. I know it's not popular practice around here, but it worked for us and she started sleeping again. Plus she LOVED it and would practically impale herself on the spoon. We started feeding purees at about 6 months and she just adores them. At around 6 1/2 months we started giving her food to play with, pick up and such. She has a lot of fun with that. Yesterday she ate eggs and toast all on her own! I almost cried, haha.
You just have to do what works for you and not worry so much about the rest.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Question: for those of you whose babies are feeding themselves and eating things like chicken, toast, or anything else that still needs a little processing before it goes down, do your babies already have teeth?

My LO is 6 months old and so far we've done rice cereal (she likes) a few pureed veggies (potatoes, peas and green beans - she loves all 3) and that's where we are so far. Still breastfeeding as well. She does reach for anything I eat, but as someone pointed out she also reaches for the remote control and scissors, neither of which I give her!

So can babies eat meat at all without teeth, even when it's cut up in small bits? And toast and whole veggies? Or do I do pureed food until she's got some teeth?

·
Registered
377 Posts
My LO has her two bottom front teeth, but she mostly just gums things. I don't give her any meat.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Lina uses her teeth exclusively to bite pieces off. Things she can't bite through she sucks on.

I try to make everything into a sort of wedge shape just to avoid her shoving the middle of a large piece in her mouth and letting the edges fall where they may.

When we started she'd take bites the size of a grain of rice. But, she couldn't pick up anything much smaller than a die. But with a piece the size of a die she'd put the whole thing in her mouth and it was too much for her. So the best thing was for her to have a large piece and bite off (well, scrape off to start) what she could manage.

She adores meat, which she gets when dh has some. Hamburger is no problem at all and strips of steak she just chews and sucks on until she decides she's done.

We only avoid very hard things like nuts. Full size carrots made terrific teething toys.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't do strict BLW, but I do give my (toothless) six-month-old chunks of soft table foods, such as steamed veggies (I steam them a bit longer for him than for the rest of us), bread and crackers, rice and quinoa, pancakes, soft fruits (melons, peaches, bananas), baked apples and pears (with the peel removed, since he has no teeth), little pieces of cheese, sweet-potato "fries" (though I bake them, not fry), and Cheerios. I do also spoon-feed him some things: mashed potatoes, applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal, and so on. He doesn't seem to mind, but loves to feed himself too. All of the above I season as I would for an older child, and the baby actually loves spicy, garlicky stuff.

My first two got the standard rice cereal and pureed stuff starting at six months, and hated it until I started giving them finger food. Of those two, one is a slightly picky eater, and one is in no way picky. I can't imagine my third baby (who's been given "real" food from the get-go) being at all picky, though. How could he be? He doesn't know the first thing about bland, boring food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts