Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote here some weeks ago that we will probably become short term foster parents for babies. We were just approved and also found out that the practices here have changed. Unlike before, these days also drug- and alcohol-exposed babies are sent to foster homes (after about 3 weeks in the hospital). Also, the majority of newborns in foster care here have had some exposure during pregnancy.

I am trying to learn as much as I can about what to expect. As the babies will not stay with us long term, I am mainly concerned about what to expect during infancy.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Our social worker just gave us a handout from a speaker she went to on this topic. The speaker was Barrett Labrum, DO and he works at Children's Mercy Hospital (I believe here in KC). It was very interesting stuff. It's more on long term effects though than the effect on an infant, although with almost all drugs (illegal or otherwise) there is a higher risk of preterm birth and low birth weight. Those things alone carry some difficulties regardless of the cause.

I will be interested to see what other resources you can find.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I know in our area there is something called "safe babies" training for anyone caring for 0-2yo. I think they spend a good deal of time going over these issues. So you could google that maybe?

Tjej

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much! I had bumped into the site, but had not bought the book. I guess I should.

Less than a month and we will be on the list to receive a baby... Exciting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.