Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A book was recommended to me called, "Feeding the Whole Family" by Cynthia Lair (sp?). Has anyone tried it or the recipes out of it? DD is almost 6 months, and we are going to start her on solids here pretty soon. (She is SOOO ready! Talk about trying to keep her entertained during mealtime until she's truly ready for solids!)

This book apparently has lots of neat recipes with whole grains, organic ingrediants, etc. The author really likes grains like quinoa, millet, barley, etc.

I just didn't know if anyone had tried the recipes to see how hard they were to make and what the tastiness factor was.

Any comments to share?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hi! You're in Seattle too! I have this book and love it. The recipes are easy to make, and tasty. And yes, she does use lots of grains. Did you know that Cynthia Lair lives in Seattle, too? She works at Bastyr I think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did hear read that she is in Seattle. I also found out this week that she sometimes talks at the "Parent/Baby" classes at Evergreen Hospital. Can't wait to hear her speak!

So, do you buy the grains at Whole Foods or PCC? Or does your average Safeway carry them?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Wow, do you go to the evergreen classes? I do! I'm just finishing the 9 month one, but probably won't go on to the 9-12 months. I didn't know she spoke at those classes. It would be great to hear her.

I buy the grains at Central Market (the new one in Bothell/Mill Creek) in the bulk section. I'm sure Whole Foods or PCC would have them as well. Maybe a big QFC -- anything with a good bulk foods section I think. BTW, my DS loves quinoa, couscous and many of the other grains she suggests. He REFUSES to be fed by anyone. He must be able to pick up the food on his own. It's a funny quirk.

PM me if you want!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts