Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a cold and um last night coughing stated triggering vomiting and now i am really afraid to eat anything and ii really need to eat and really afraid to cough and sorta not letting myself much. i'v never has this fear before. i really need to eat and am so afraid. is there anything safe i can take to help me cough less? i'm sorry if i'm being a pest. feeling really fragile and anxious today.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dark chocolate is supposed to be a very effective cough suppressant. There are lots of herbal remedies, but I'm always happy to find another reason to eat good chocolate.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My mother-in-law's home remedy:<br>
Lemon juice (preferrably freshly-squeezed). I don't know how much: she makes it in a 1 cup jam jar and squeezes in the juice of one whole lemon. This makes it about 3/8" deep in the jar. Add a couple of tablespoons of glycerine. Add honey to taste - probably a couple of heaping tablespoons. Stir it all up.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
as crazy as this sounds those new Lifesaver Sour things? in a round tin?<br><br>
I used those just a few weeks ago, I had a really bad cough just like you described and those were the only thing that worked.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dark chocolate certainly sounds like the most enjoyable!<br>
the coughing is still bad but no gagging i am doing so much better after resting all day. if it gets bad in the morning we have plenty of lemons and i can send dp to get me chocolate and life savor sour things

·
Registered
518 Posts
Also try drinking lots of water and running a humidifier if you are in a dry climate.<br><br>
My midwife ok'd a few mainstream remedies as well: Robitussin DM, Delsyn (lasts 12 hours), and at one point, a perscription cough syrup with codeine.<br><br>
I had a vary bad cough that lingered FOREVER! She said she would rather I took a good cough suppressant than suffer without sleeping or eating because of the cough.<br><br>
I'm glad ou are having a better day. Take care!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The only ones I've ever been told are safe by poison control and two pharmacists (and a NICU nurse - I had a cold two weeks ago) are Tylenol cold and sinus or ACTIFED (actifed was suggested as the best and safest alternative). I've also been told that Contact C is also safe.<br><br>
Sheal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts