Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to school full time as an arts major with a 7 month dd.
I love art and its my passion, I was wondering if there were any single mama's out there successfully making a living at painting or sculpting and how they do it with a lil' one in tow. I'm debating getting an education degree mainly because I want to put all my effort into art, but I also want to provide some stability for dd.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
In my honest, but jaded opinion, there are very very very few painters or sculptors making their primary income off their art. Singe, married, divorced, with one child, 10 children or no children, still slim to nearly none. There are just too many artists that want to be painting, sculpting, illustrating, designing..... I make my primary income off of computer support, and the fringe bonus off of painting. I'd have to be in multiple galleries, well-known and have steady buyers for my work in order to make my real income off it.

Now, if you have very very low finances (live out in rural area with cheap food and housing and free education....) then maybe you could set up a gallery and do it, but again if you are out in the middle of nowhere, who will come to the gallery?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am an artist. I paint and am in school for Graphic Design with two years to go. I am not a single mom but I fully believe that you can make a living doing whatever you want to do. Just beleive and focus using positive thoughts and don't doubt the outcome. Finacial prosperity is possible regardless of what field you are in! Wealth is a state of mind. Good luck! and have fun. God bless your little one and she will grow up to see her strong Mama believing in herself and following her dream and it will inspire her more than anything and more than any words you could tell her. She will soak up your self belief and self confidence like a sponge and make it her own. That is the best gift you could give her the power to go for her dreams beacause you are going for yours, I give you all the green lights, positive thoughts and good vibes!

Light & Love be with you Mama!!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I am a single mama and I'm also in school to go into the arts and I questioned my career path for awhile to ensure I could provid for my daughter and myself regardless of her father.

My passion is writing and I would love to make a career writing novels but in the meantime while I am laying the foundation for my NY Times Best Selling status --- I am also creating multiple streams of income which I think it the key to a lucrative career as a "working artist". In addition to my writing I am also working toward a BA in Creative Writing / English and will get my MA in Education (If I transfer colleges I will switch my BA to Theater but continue with the MA in Education) this will allow me to go into teaching if I desire..... I am also currently writing while I learn the items in school and in the process sold a non-fiction book as well as a couple articles --- while none of those are my "dream" they will all contribute in some form to my "platform" as well as help nuture my art. Teaching would help me find the true voices of the youth and my novels are geared for young adults, writing non-fiction allowed me to sign with an agent, and sell to a NY publisher so when my fiction is ready I can say "I'm published" also I am being open to writing in other mediums.

I would highly suggest the book Making A Living Without A Job by Barbara Winter it's very insightful as was reccomended by annother single mama here on MDC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.