Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get myself accustomed with the record keeping aspect for HSing before I'm actually required to submit anything, but I don't know where to start.

We will be working with a cirriculum and while I won't be doing a set schedule, I do want to plan for the days activites. What I'm looking for (I think) is something that I can set for the day of each lesson (ie: social development, basic math, etc).

Do you record or plan your day? What do you do? What's you method? Do you use a paper planner or computer program? What kind?

I'm asking anyone who puts any info to paper/comp file. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought a standard teacher's planner at a school supply store and personalized it. I just wrote down what we did each day under MATH, LANG. ARTS, READING, SCIENCE, HISTORY, and ARTS/OTHER. That way I could see if I had a gap in science or history over the space of a few days. There are also homeschool planners at hs supply stores; they're basically the same thing. You might want to try using something from this website as well: http://donnayoung.org/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiegs
I just bought a standard teacher's planner at a school supply store and personalized it. I just wrote down what we did each day under MATH, LANG. ARTS, READING, SCIENCE, HISTORY, and ARTS/OTHER. That way I could see if I had a gap in science or history over the space of a few days. There are also homeschool planners at hs supply stores; they're basically the same thing. You might want to try using something from this website as well: http://donnayoung.org/
Thank you so much for your response!

I've checked out Donna Young and I'm trying to see what I want to use and how to incorporate it into what I have planned.

Do you use a portfolio? I know some states aren't required to use them. What do you use for that? I can't remember if DY had that on there too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you use a portfolio? I know some states aren't required to use them. What do you use for that? I can't remember if DY had that on there too.>>>>

I did go back through his K work and pulled out a few things that were indicative of his work from the beginning of the year, middle of the year and end of the year so I could see his progress, and I saved sentimental things (his first narration, first page of double digit addition, etc.) just for me to look back on. I didn't do the same thing with last year's work, however. I saved his history and science narrations so he can use them as a "reference," too. We use The Well-Trained Mind and save some things, but we have no state requirement for a portfolio.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Mary Pride's book (something about getting started hsing) has a section on planners and stuff. I just checked it out from the library yesterday so I'm not sure if her recommendations are any good.

You could blog your hsing. Or, if you're not comfortable with that, you could just make a journal on your computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.