Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She turned 1 yesterday and I haven't given her anything yet
: . I'd like to get her something sentimental or something that she can keep, pass on to her daughter, etc. We've had a particularly rough few months since her dad decided to leave and it has just been us two.

I thought about getting her a little locket with a pic of us in it but I'm not sure that would fit my budget....

I'm sure some of you have come up with some nifty sentimental things - can you give me ideas? I can spend up to $100-$120 max (not that I have to spend that, just saying....)

Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
We got her a toybox with a personalized name plaque on it. We also got her a wagon that is going to get converted into a dog cart. Yes, our dog will be pulling the wagon. We just ordered the last of the parts today. Not as sentimental as a locket, but both items are well made and can be passed on to her children if they are taken care of properly.

Every child needs a red wooden wagon!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Okay, mine is not sentimental but I also like to mark special occasions with gifts for my daughter that will last at least through her childhood, and her first birthday present was a huge foof chair. A bit sillier I think than what you're looking for, but it is made to last, she can take it to college with her and we cuddle in it everyday to read books and play. It was so fun as she learned to walk and climb on it, it's a mountain to her

(As a side note, I also became a single mom shortly before she turned one and we were living in an apartment on our own with little furniture which was part of my motivation for the big bean bag. I think it's something that will grow with us.)

For her first Christmas, I got her a wooden red wagon like North mentioned.

Don't feel bad that her birthday has passed, wait until you find the thing that you know is the right gift. You'll know it when you find it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had the same dilemna when DD turned 1 last month. We actually never really bought her anything great but we did get a beautiful necklace charm with the first letter of her name. It's really pretty and definately something that'll be remebered always.

Even a beuatiful picture frame could be really sentimental- or a shadow box with some of her things in it. You don't need to spend a lot of money. If your crafty, maybe you could make her something?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Are you crafty? I've heard of people making quilts out of outgrown baby clothes. There are even companies that will do it for you (like this: http://www.willowcreekbaby.com/WCBmemoryblanket.html). I'm making a fabric book with different shapes and textures in it for dd's first birthday. It will include a mini version of the blanket I knit for her while pregnant, fabric from clothes I have made her, buttons to fidget with, a yellow duck since she LOVES her rubber duckies.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far! They are great! As you all picked up on... no, it doesn't need to be a locket or sentimental necessarily but something thoughtful and something that will last at least.

I guess another angle is that we are moving and I'm going to be flat broke since I've been a SAHM and I'm still not quite sure how I'll pay for it all -- so I'd like to do something special while I can!

I'll take the time to find it. I certainly appreciate your help. In the muck here, it is hard to concentrate enough to think about this a lot!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
If money is an issue, what about a 50 dollar savings bond? It's a lot cheaper then the 100-200 budget you initially mentioned, but it's a great investment for her future!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
How about a photo book? A soft colorful cloth book with pictures of her favorite people (and pets, if any) behind vinyl windows. My daughter had one and LOVED it when she was a toddler; we could sit and look through it and name everyone and talk about all the people in the world who loved her. You can buy these, of if you're handy sew your own and keep the expense down.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I made dd a waldorf doll (well, actually 3). She loved them and plays with them frequently a year later. Even my boys (5 and 3) loved them so I made them each one. Something nice that can be played with/loved for years. I still have a few of my favourite animals and such from my 1st birthday that MY kids play with (30 years later) so I feel like she can have them for many years to come.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
We got her a toybox with a personalized name plaque on it. We also got her a wagon that is going to get converted into a dog cart. Yes, our dog will be pulling the wagon. We just ordered the last of the parts today. Not as sentimental as a locket, but both items are well made and can be passed on to her children if they are taken care of properly.

Every child needs a red wooden wagon!

Can i see a link to the wagon you chose for your dd?

·
Registered
344 Posts
my dd got a smaller version of that wagon for her first b-day and a 4 still plays with it!
It is great. The one she has is much smaller though and she can push it around the house. It is big enough to fit a kid in too.

For my dd's first b-day, we had a watercolor portrait of her done. It is my favorite thing ever and I plan to do the same for my son when he turns one. But may be out of your budget.

Also, at her b-day party, I got one of those frames that you can write on and had people write things for her. THen I put a picture from the party in it. You could do something like that and just have people who have been significant in the first yr sign it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.