Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am 28wks now so I had to cut my running down and i am swimming 3x a week. i was just wondering that if i was swimming and my water broke, how would I know? or is that just too far out of a possibility? I would like to continue swimming, just unsure if it is safe as I get closer in the coming months. thanks mama's!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am a swimmer, but I am on a masters team, so I am watched pretty closely. I would contact a local masters swim team if available, and if not, then someplace like the YMCA or a youth swim team and see what they recommend.<br><br>
HTH,<br>
Nicole

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That's a really good question! I have no idea how you would know. My SIL was telling me last week that when she went in for her 2nd or 3rd baby, they were going to break her water only to find out it was already done! She didn't even know it! And she definitely wasn't swimming. Hopefully some other mamas will have good advice for you.<br><br>
Speaking of swimming...<br><br>
I was just going to start a thread about this! I hope it's not hijacking...but I have a question. I try to walk a few times a week, but gravity is starting to take it's toll on me. I'd like to start swimming regularly (weightless!), but I have no idea where to start. I know it's easy to get tired and not realize it. What's a good goal, minute-wise or otherwise? Should I just do laps? I'm not a great swimmer, but I can move in the water, and that's all I really need, right? TIA, and sorry for hijacking!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clynnr - you know, swimming is much harder for me than running, because I just started back after 5 yrs LOL! but much easier on the old joints. i go to a jr olympic pool and can do 5 laps right now. but i do rest between because i get more tired. i would just do as much as your body tells you too. take a break if you get tired between laps. i dont time myself though. also, i bought a kickboard, so i have been alternating swimming 1 lap then doing another lap with just the kickboard so i am kind of resting, with out stopping. hth.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
If you are unsure how tired you are getting, you can take your pulse at the end of each lap. Any decent pool that offers lap swimming will have a large clock for timing your laps - you can pretty easily just take a break between laps, count your pulse for 15 seconds, and go back to swimming if it is in a good range or take a super-easy lap if it is slightly high.<br><br>
I am a swimmer, but my water has never broken in the water (haha) - both times it broke during the pushing stage. But it was a very, very distinct sensation that I doubt you could miss even if you were in the water, plus I'd imagine there would be leakage afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts