Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. (obviously, lol) I should be returning to work when the baby is 6 months old. I only have my prep (1:50-2:30) and lunch time (12:15-12:55) to pump. Will that be enough? Will my supply dwindle and disappear? I am so worried... I was able to nurse my dd1 up to 3 years, but I was not working a full time job then.<br><br><br>
any info you can share will be very appreciated...<br><br>
ETA: I get to school about 5 minutes before the 8:00 bell( so can't pump before school starts), my commute is 1 hour. And I forgot to mention I could add a pump session during my last prep at 2:25 to 3:00.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I am a teacher too. My lunch is 12:20-12:50, and I have a 1/2 hour prep either in the morning or in the afternoon. I have a 40 minute commute to work, so what I try to do is pump right when I get to school, then during my prep and during lunch. If I get three pumpings in a day, it is usually plenty. I am always nervous when I have to go four hours without pumping (when I don't have an afternoon prep), but I have been doing this since January and I have had no problem!<br><br>
How long is your commute? I would say that if you can pump right before school starts, during either your lunch or prep, then right when school gets out, you should be good. It will probably be too soon to pump during your lunch and your special, but you never know how your body will adjust, it might work for you. If your commute is short, you might be able to get away with nursing right before you leave home then pump only twice during the day.<br><br>
I found that even on the days I pump less frequently, I am able to pump more milk per pumping, and it evens out.<br><br>
I hope this makes sense and helps!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since January I've been doing: leave DD at 8:30-ish, pump at work at about 9:30-ish (sometimes pump again at 11-ish if I get less than 4 oz. at first pumping), go to day care to nurse at about 1:30, and pump at about 4:00... it's been working fine.<br><br>
I find my supply is by far the best in the morning, and it's totally worth it to pump early on -- even with just an hour since last nursing I get 3.5-5 oz.<br><br>
Is there any chance you could do a first-thing-in-the-morning session? I agree with the last poster -- that plus two sessions during the day, even if the spacing isn't ideal, should work well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts