Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think you should stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of your child?

This is a struggle for me. I grew up without my Dad. Yeah I had 2 step Dad's but...

Isn't life to short not to be happy?

But isn't my child worth more than a Mom who gave up?

I just want to cry.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think that if you can honestly say that you have done everything in your power to salvage your relationship, and that there is no way you can possibly see the situation getting better, then it might be time for at least a seperation. Kids can tell when their parents are miserable, and I honestly think that living in ahouse full of tension and misery will do more harm in the long run then a divorce.

Neither is a great situation, but "if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!" afterall.

Before you do anything however, as long as there is no abuse involved of course, I would talk to a therepist to get an objective point of view on it and to help you sort out what you are going to do next. And, of course, couples counciling, if only to help you be good co-parents, would be a good thing as well.

Hope it works out for you!
MM

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuasMommy
Do you think you should stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of your child? NO

This is a struggle for me. I grew up without my Dad. Yeah I had 2 step Dad's but...

Isn't life to short not to be happy? YES

But isn't my child worth more than a Mom who gave up? YES

I just want to cry.
I was raised by parents who stayed together 'for my sake'. The day my mom finally had had enough and moved out was the happiest day I'd had in years. Sure, we ate mac n cheese a lot. But I finally saw my mom motivated to live for herself, and that taught me that I deserved more. I think many relationships go through this kind of stuff. Does the good outweigh the bad? If not, it probably doesn't for your child, either. Just because you aren't physically together doesn't have to mean your dc will grow up without a Dad.
You said it best...life is too short.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What RacheePoo said. By the time we were teenagers we were BEGGING our mom to leave our dad. She finally did. She died less than 2 years later. She never got her chance to be happy. I wish she would have left him sooner and maybe had a little more happiness before she passed away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts