Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I sleep in a Queen-sized bed with our 1-month-old sidecarred on one side and our 19-month-old sidecarred on the other. I bring the baby into bed beside me for feeds and sometimes just keep him there (but only ever on the outside near his crib--never between me and DH).

Now in theory, the toddler would stay in *his* crib all night long but instead he always crawls over and curls up against DH, meaning we wind up with 4 of us in the big bed and nobody in the sidecars. It's one thing with the baby, but quite another with the toddler as he likes to sleep horizontally with his head mashed against one of ours, his fingers up our noses, pulling our hair etc... and it really makes it hard for any of us--including him--to get a good night's sleep with that going on from dusk 'til dawn.

DH is happy to "put up" with cosleeping indefinitely but only if we can find a way to keep DS in his crib, otherwise he's just about had it as he is completely exhausted from taking a battering night after night after night. He's also sick of trying to keep DS from climbing over him to get to me. (In case you're wondering, we want to keep DS out of the middle as he literally pulls my hair *all night long* and it drives me insane!
: Plus, I want to make sure he doesn't climb over *me* when I'm asleep and land on the newborn.)

And as additional info, we were having this problem before the baby arrived so nothing's really changed. I guess our little man just doesn't want to sleep in a crib when he can sleep on top of one of us instead.

Any advice? I really don't want to put him in his own room but our current situation just isn't working.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by minta
Any advice? I really don't want to put him in his own room but our current situation just isn't working.

TIA!
Do you have room for a toddler bed in your room? One of my 2yos has been coming in with us every night for weeks, and there just isn't a lot of space esp. when the baby is nursing (we have 2 beds, 80cm each). One night I asked her if she wanted to sleep in the PNP and she happily agreed. She is close to use but we are all sleepign better

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. We *could* put a toddler bed in our room in place of the crib but I don't think DS would be any more likely to stay in it. His sidecar is exactly the same height as our bed and the "gutter" is filled so it's pretty much just an extension of our space, so I don't see how things would be any different if he were in a proper bed. ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts