Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ds really prefers to sleep on his stomach...so much so that he falls asleep during tummy time and takes his best naps and night sleeps laying on my chest tummy down...i've read that the american academy of pediatrics says that SIDS and tummy sleeping are not necessarily linked after 8 weeks of age (ds is 10 weeks) but of course I am still concerned and want to do the right thing. BUT this babe will sleep for 6 hours if allowed on his tummy. Help! any advice out there?

THANK YOU

·
Registered
116 Posts
Right now ds is a great tummy sleeper, and he is nearly 3 months. But the peak age for SIDS is 2-4 months, so it actually makes me pretty nervous. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Don't worry - most kids prefer tummy sleeping. All 4 of mine did, no biggie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's just nice to know that others do it too...i worry so much but at the same time want him to be rested because he does so much better when he is !

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
My ds who is 13 weeks TOTALLY prefers belly sleeping....I just watch him closely and check often that his little nose isnt blocked or he isnt laying on his face....
I worried a lot at first but I think as long as you are very aware everything is good to go. I also prefer my well rested babe over a cranky back sleeping one!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
All four of my kids were belly babies! They didn't do well on their sides or backs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-lovely
My ds who is 13 weeks TOTALLY prefers belly sleeping....I just watch him closely and check often that his little nose isnt blocked or he isnt laying on his face....
I worried a lot at first but I think as long as you are very aware everything is good to go. I also prefer my well rested babe over a cranky back sleeping one!

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Both my kids (DS, 3yo, and DD, 4mo) are tummy sleepers. ITA with the above. Also, I think it makes a big difference if you've minimized all other SIDS risk factors by not smoking, keeping suffocation hazards out of baby's sleeping area, breastfeeding, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is why I love mothering.com....I feel so much better just knowing other people have the same experience. I keep a really close eye on him and minimize all the other risk factors as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
DD started tummy sleeping at around 5 weeks. She would sleep great on her back when swaddled, but after around 4 weeks, she wasnt so much into it for long periods of time. Now she only sleeps on her back if she is in her swing or if she has fallen asleep in her carseat.

It used to really worry me as well. It still does if it is very warm in here. But I always make sure there is a fan blowing in her general direction to keep the air circulating. If your babe doesnt have a a very strong neck, I would be concerned about it as well. DD has had great neck control since day 1, so I worry about it less. It definitely takes some getting used to after being told over and over about the risks of SIDS.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You're really not supposed to do it.

That being said, I think some babies are born tummy sleepers and this SIDS thing is creating a generation of poor sleeping babies. I think if I had let my twins sleep on their tummies I would have saved myself a lot of grief about their poor sleep.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My DD really likes sleeping on her tummy, and it used to make me nervous. We co-sleep so I'd roll her over on her back or side in the middle of the night, but she'd still try to roll back on her tummy. She has a really strong neck from lots of awake tummy time, so I decided to let her sleep on her tummy if she chooses. (She goes to sleep on her back or side, but eventually rolls on to her tummy while sleeping.) I just make sure her nose isn't in danger of being blocked.

Kristin

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never even thought about this with ds1. You just weren't supposed to do it, it's dangerous. They had all these neat little brochures and stickers to give out at the peds office. But when he was old enough he rolled over on his own. I figured that was okay, and he slept so much better. With ds2 I don't know how it happend but I found out right away that he stayed asleep through being put down (ds1's problem) if I put him on his tummy. I was freaked out but the midwives said it was fine since he was healthy, full term, BFd and co-sleeping. So my last two kids were/are belly sleepers! Of course I fret over the tempurature and their clothing and bedding

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
While it is undeniable that the SIDS rate went down 50% after the "Back to Sleep" campaign started, I have to wonder if it was more than just positioning -- people learned more about keeping the sleeping area clean, firm, at the right temperature, etc. The hidden truth about this issue is that most medical professionals (I've heard this from my bro-in-law, who is a surgicial resident, and from various physical therapists) put their own children on their tummies to sleep. Why? Because on the back is not a physiologically natural sleeping position for us humans. 20 years after the BTS campaign started there is an upswing in neuromuscular issues. Lying on their tummies allows the babies to develop their core muscle strength and spatial awareness -- even jaw strength, neck strength, etc. After 6 months the proprioceptors responsible for these functions are vastly diminished... Anyway, I happily put my one-month-old on her tummy to sleep from day one. I just wish the insurance companies would allow the OB professionals in the US to say what they really think about this issue. Yargh.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
DS was/is a tummy sleeper from the start! I worried about it a little at first because of all the bad press it gets. Then I got over it

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi-
Tummy sleeping can't be all bad, because it still is recommended for babies with some medical conditions (like reflux). There was a time when doctors warned against putting babies to sleep on their backs, and it wasn't all that long ago.

Kristin

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll be the lone nay-sayer here. My understanding is that SIDS might be related to an arousal problem- and that warm temperatures and belly sleeping are linked with SIDS at least in part, BECAUSE babies tend to sleep more deeply under those conditions. Babies spend more time in a lighter state of sleep on their backs, or while sucking a paci/boob-- so that if they stop breathing for a moment, their bodieswill easily startle awake and "reset" themselves. So yes-- many babies more deeply and longer on their bellies, and that is part of the concern. I also don't think the drop in SIDS wit the back to sleep campaign is any coincidence.

I'll also admit that I'm pretty paranoid about my dd's safety, but I think that, during the peak age especially, it really isn't worth the risk.

(ETA: and yes, I know that the risk is still fairly low, but, for me at least, I think I would have gotten less sleep worrying abput her, so the trade-off wouldn't have been worthwhile at all for me
)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The other thing that I have read about, is that at about the same time that they started doing the Back to Sleep campaign, that's when they also started doing the autopsies on all the babies. By doing the autopsies, that cut down on a lot of the SIDS diagnosis, because they actually found something wrong with the baby that caused them to die. Remember, they only call it SIDS when they can't find any cause, so naturally, there was a huge drop when they started doing the autopsies.
However, I was just never comfortable enough to let her be on her tummy. I was obsessively horrified that my baby would be the 1 in 1000th baby that was going to die. And she always slept through the night on her side, so I guess I had no reason to want her on her tummy. And now, when I try to put her on her tummy (I wanted to see if it would help her nap longer), she just thinks its time to play.
I remember reading something on askdrsears that said if your baby will only sleep on its tummy, maybe it is trying to tell you something and you should listen to them and let them sleep how they need to.

~Melissa~

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
We were just talking about this over dinner with friends who are ttc. My dd1 slept on her tummy in her cradle, which has a firm mattress, from day 3. When we put her on her back I watched her spaz out with the startle reflex over and over again and I just knew no one was going to sleep like that. When she came into bed with us in the middle of the night to eat, she slept on her back. We're doing the same thing with dd2.

My husband said, last night at dinner, that he'd read that babies without a gasp reflex were the ones that you had to worry about. I've never heard of that reflex, but if there is such a thing it makes sense. I know that my babe has one because sometimes I bury her face into my breast to far as we're latching on and she pulls back b/c she can't breathe!

But I agree with the pp, if you're going to lose sleep over it, put your baby on his/her back, and then when they're old enough to show you, let them pick their own position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.