Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I nursed my first daughter for 8 months and began having some health problems when I got pregnant with #2, and basically she ended up weaning herself then. I was devastated, as I had hoped to nurse MUCH longer than 8 months, and was even planning on tandem, since they are only 16 months apart.<br><br>
Well when my second daughter was 4 months old, I ended up having to go back to work. She refused to take a bottle of anything until about 2 weeks ago, and now loves it. I pumped for 3 months, and still couldn't keep up with her, even taking tons of Fenugreek, drinking lots of water and eating oatmeal. She is currently taking one bottle of formula while I'm working, and eating baby food the rest of the time. I nurse her when I get home from work, before bedtime, if she wakes up at night, and before I leave for work in the morning.<br><br>
The problem is that lately she is only interested in the early morning feeding, and the rest she's rather have solids.<br><br>
My job will be ending sometime during July, and I'll be a SAHM again after that.<br><br>
Does anybody have any suggestions for trying to keep her BFing longer? I've been trying to nurse her at lunch (I go home every day to tempt her) but it's not working anymore.<br><br>
Please help! If she's weaning herself already, isn't it too soon? I don't want to have to put her on formula when I'm fully capable of feeding her. How do I keep her interested though? I really wanted to get her to at least a year!

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Why is she having ABM (artificial baby milk) at daycare? Can't you pump at all at work? Can you pump in the morning before or after she nurses?<br><br>
Intead of a bottle at daycare, cut them out and let them give her a cup.<br><br>
If she is having a pacifier, cut that out.<br><br>
In other words, don't let her suck on anything but you.<br><br>
When you are home, does she get solids? Try to reduce these and even gradually cut them out, for now. (You may need to hide when you eat, if you can.) If she insisits on eating table foods, just let her have little bits of your food, not easy to eat jarred pureed foods.<br><br>
Do you co-sleep? Try it, she may then nurse more than once at night.<br><br>
When you are together, try lots of skin to skin. Treat this as a kind of nursing strike, which are common at this age. Keep your top off. Take baths together.<br><br>
If she won't nurse when you are together, at least you can pump and give her your milk by cup. Keep your milk supply up, so when she returns to more frequent feeding, the milk will be there.<br><br>
Babies at this age are mighty distractable sometimes. Take her into a dark quiet room to nurse whenever neccessary.<br><br>
If you can get over this hump, if she is like most babies, she will return to loving bfing with a vengeance at 12 mos, and from then on.<br><br>
Read this:<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html</a><br><br>
ETA link to this thread on same subject in Extended Bfing:<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=152448" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=152448</a>

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some quick responses -<br><br>
Right now, she only gets the paci in bed (she absolutely REFUSES to sleep with us, which saddened me to no end). If she wakes at night, I nurse her. We don't give her solids usually once I get home, but the last few nights, she's refused to nurse when I got home, and screamed until she got some solids.<br><br>
uhhhhhhhh, what else...oh, so far she hasn't quite mastered the sippy cup, but my sister was pouring it down her throat for a long time, until she figured out the bottle.<br><br>
She would get EBM if I could pump enough, but I was pumping 5 times a day at work for almost 4 months, and never once got over 6oz total from both sides. I had little to no support on the pumping, and DH just keeps telling me to finish weaning her already.<br><br>
Right now my milk supply is still pretty good (between 4pm and 6am anyways) because she is still nursing so well at night and in the morning.<br><br>
I'm just REALLY hoping I can keep it going until I'm done working - and then she's getting a BB before any solids every meal!<br><br>
Thanks for the links - I'm off to read up some more!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts