Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several squeeze duckies etc for the bath that have mould inside them
some are old and i don't mind tossing them out, but there's several duckies that have sentimental value and/or are newer that DD will freak over if I toss. Is there any way to clean the mold out?

Thanks!

· Registered
4,206 Posts
My mom used to bleach them.

However, you might try:
Vinegar
Grapefruit seed extract
Tea tree oil

Followed by some time in direct sunlight, to really dry them out.

· Registered
7,294 Posts
I'd make up a solution of vinegar and water or laundry-strength non-chlorine bleach (hydrogren peroxide) from the health food store and soak those suckers in it, making sure you squeeze them to get the liquid inside. Maybe 20 minutes? Then rinse them very well. Even if the brown/black stuff still colors the inside, you'll know it's dead.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Hey Kendell...your pic links aren't working FYI

I hope you can get them clean.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the heads up! I swtched my domain to a new server and dumped everything first.

I ended up doing a bleach solution. I usually avoid bleach at all costs but the vinegar didn't work. I am going to soak them in TTO occasionally from now on and also make sure they are squeezed out properly after bath time.

· Registered
2,240 Posts
This happens to us all the time. My first line of defense is running them through the dishwasher. Sometimes the gunk gets cooked off then I can get it out by squeezing the water out. If that doesn't work, I suck bleach into the toys and let it sit. It doesn't have to be a very strong bleach solution to get rid of the algae/mold by the way!

· Registered
2,471 Posts
This is one of my biggest pet peeves!

Why can't they just make bath toys without holes? I have yet to find any. I think its a ploy to get you to buy more...

You've gotten some retty good ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.