Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using cloth for over 2 weeks now and I have noticed a definite difference in how well dd sleeps at night. She sleeps much better in a 'sposie than in the FB.

In a FB, she's up at 3am-ish, rolling around next to me, will have nursed, is tired & cranky and won't go back to sleep. The other night after a half hour of this, I had
moment and changed her, and she fell right to sleep. (I hadn't needed to change her in the middle of the night since she was 2.5mo.) She doesn't stay awake at night like this in a 'sposie (she'll nurse and go right back to sleep).

Do you think it's the bulk that bothers her? (I stuff the FB w/ 2 microterry inserts or 1 joey/micro combo).Or is it that she feels the wetness as compared to the 'sposie?

Does anyone use a 'sposie at night
: and cloth during the day?
It's just really frustrating.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have the opposite. We just switched back to cloth and I am seeing that DS sleeps better in cloth than a sposie. Ive been using a fitted with an extra fleece topped liner and a Liz's Cloth fleece cover at night on him.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
She probably is feeling more wetness than she does with a sposie. Maybe if you put some more stuffing in the fb it might soak up better and keep her dryer. Otherwise I would suggest changing her at night rather than putting her in sposies at night. I know its frustrating.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
We still use sposies at night. If left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't, but DH insists, he's petrified of wet beds. I really want to keep co-sleeping, so he get his way on this one. He'd use sposies all the time if it was up to him, so I think we're doing well just by using cloth during the day! However, I don't have your problem. DS is restless all night, never really has slept straight through--the best we ever get is 11-5. The one or two nights I managed to put him in cloth without DH noticing were exactly the same as any other night!

Anyway, you shouldn't feel guilty using sposies at night, if that's what you end up doing--feel proud of yourself for managing to use cloth during the day. You're still saving money, helping the environment (one sposie a day instead of eight or nine or more), and keeping your child's skin away from chemicals most of the time. I've had to come to look at it that way, or else I'd feel guilty every time I put him in his nighttime sposie.

Alison

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Definately the right ammt of stuffing helps pocket diapers work effectively. I really like those microfiber towels they sell at Sam's club because they are so squishy, it seems more comfortable than a stiff heavy hemp insert. I use 1 trifolded inside an infant prefold or I use 2 trifolded together.

However, my dd definately had a harder time sleeping in cloth prefolds. When she was a a little baby I toughed it out because we couldn't afford sposies or pocket diapers. I have pockets now but she's gotten in the habit of waking up when she pees regardless of the diaper.

In anycase, you should feel good about using any ammount of cloth, parenting is hard, parenting without sleep is even harder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts