Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby girl is 12 months and weighs 16lbs 2 oz. She is very petite and she does have food allergies so we are almost exclusively breastfeeding still. We have managed to introduce and pass carrots, pears and now we are trialing beef. She is meeting her developental stuff just fine but I am afraid that when I go to see the pedi she is going to tell me that she has stopped gaining. We have had issues with her in the past when she was convinced that because she was not eating rice cereal (she has allergies to rice FPIES to rice and most likely milk, soy too) she would be anemic despite all the reserach I did saying the contrary. Finally she got her tested and she was perfect. Anyway are there any other moms out there with small babies? I think my daugther is just fine but it does worry me some. Everybody says she looks totally healthy and happy, just petite.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
My tiny girl is now 4. She weighs 27lbs (which is less than her not-yet-two year old sister) and still fits comfortably in 18-24 month clothing. She weighs what her brothers both weighed at around 6 MONTHS

She is a happy, healthy little girl. Full of more energy than most children (she's a busy one). Her hair and nails grow quick (so she must be getting enough nutrients), she is rarely sick, and overall just a vibrant little person. She is small, but that is just the way she is meant to be.

I would only worry if:
-hair and nails stopped growing
-eyes looked dull
-not well proportioned (big head, small body for example, a child who is in good proportion is likely just built small and not undernourished)
-bad sleep
-fussy/unhappy disposition
-sleepy or lethargic
-pale
-frequently sick
-that mama-gut feeling that something is wrong

That is where MY comfort level would be, yours may be different. With my dd I always just knew she was small. Her head is small, her hands and feet are small. But she is health and happy and clearly just petite.

·
Registered
991 Posts
my DD was 16lbs at 13m. she is just petite. Doc said "well she didn't pick very big parents" . I'm not worried. She is a month behind where I was as a babe, but she was a 37wkr.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is def. healthy and happy - thanks for sharing that we are not the only ones. After people tell you everyday how small she is you start getting paranoid

·
Registered
692 Posts
My DD was tiny at one year, and remains tiny

17 lbs at 1 year
37 lbs at 7 years

but is healthy, bright, and flourishing. We had all the standard FTT testing done, and she's normal, just small. Like her Mama and aunties are.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
my 2yr old is 24.5 lbs. tall and skinny.

at 1 yr she was 16 or 18 lbs i think.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
DD is teeny too.

She's going to be two on Wednesday and I'm guessing she's right around 22-23lbs. I'll find out at her WBV.

She's just always been petite. Well, not necessarily short, just skinny and not super tall. At 24 months, she can easily fit 12 month pants with only a few brands being a bit too short. I just posted a thread last week about her fitting into 9 month shorts.

She eats (very!)well, nurses 8-10+ times a day, is very active, ahead on all her milestones and talks up a storm .

DD is just smaller in stature. And rarely sits still. That's all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same here. My daughter is 2 and is barely 21 pounds like as of this week. I think she was 17lbs or 18lbs at 1. She is just small. I'm sort of a shrimpo too though so she is just like me.
Doc isn't concerned and she is developing just fine.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! Well I am no "shrimpo" right now
but that is thanks to thyroid issues... I was and my "real natural state" is on the small side for sure. I was def. a skinny kid too. Thanks so much for sharing with me - I certainly feel better.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I nannied for a tiny little girl... she was 18lbs at 12 months. (She also had allergies, and was on hydrosalate formula) She's 8 now, and perfectly normal sized.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have little peanuts, too. Ds was 16 lbs at 1 year and dd was 17 lbs. They don't have any kind of food allergies and happen to be really great eaters, too. They are just little! Now my ds is 3.5 and he weighs 28 lbs. He's been wearing 12-18 month sized shorts this summer! No worries, people come in all different shapes and sizes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.