Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 36 weeks today, with a predicted HUGE baby (based 100% on the size of my 1st
: ) who has remained stubbornly breech for the last 2 months. The hosp. mw (who I actually like best out of all the hcp's I've seen thus far) gave me a number for a fsbc mw who is supposed to hook me up with an acupuncturist for moxibustion, chiropractor, and any other "alternative" turning methods they can drum up. I'm still meeting with my doula & her friend ... they plan to continue to try to turn her using a rebozo. I'm trying all the at-home methods (ice pack on her head, talking to her, knees to chest position, flashlight/music at the baby exit). If none of that works, I'll be scheduling an e/v for the next week or so.

I had an extremely vivid dream right before dd#1 woke me up this morning, that she flipped. I SUCK at palpating, so I have no idea if she actually did.
: I'm just starting to get really worried, as there are NO, and I mean NO, providers that will even attempt a vaginal breech in my area. Not my ob, who has delivered breeches before; not the only fsbc in the state (which is about 15 minutes from my office); not the only hb mw who serves my area ... nobody. So, if she doesn't turn, it's an auto c/s and I am FREAKING OUT about that. I have worked so hard, since dd#1's birth, to have a hb with future babies.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
I am still breech and moving around like crazy here, but just 33.5 weeks (34 monday). So far I have just been doing pelvic tilts and making sure I never ever slouch. I think the mw is going to try and make it next week to palpate the baby's position as I am not real great at that either. If it seems ambiguous then I am consenting to a short ultrasound Thursday to check position. I want to start some more serious techniques. Unfortunately the nearest chiro that does Webster (that I am aware of is 2.5-3 hrs away). My mw has done breech, but not a lot. We haven't for certain discussed this, but we will definitely next week if it is still breech, as I want to get everything lined up. The baby has decided in the past few days to lay transverse a lot, so that is a no-go regardless.

Why is it that they will refuse you a breech birth? I am guessing because they are assuming a big baby? If I end up breech w/o a care provider I am looking into a FP dr that does breech delivery (has been practicing for 30+ yrs and tons of births under his belt)- however he is 2.5 hrs away (in good traffic) and will cost a lot more. I have also thought about the farm as well, although as another MDC poster said it is about $4000, my mw is only $1000, as I live in rural Missouri, so it would require clearing out quite a bit from the savings acoount. However, no way I am consenting to a c/s unless I absolutely have no other option.

So, I definetely feel your stress. I cannot imagine as you are further along than I am. I am hoping and praying all our lil' ones get their heads down !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
oh, and Luke was 8#10oz at 38w3days, but the mw hasn't expressed any concern about size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fiona was 10/9 at 40w6d and I didn't have gd with that pregnancy (I do with this one). So, everyone is convinced that this babe is going to be gigantic. I'm totally not worried about delivering a big baby. Maybe I'm just naive, but it's just not something that scares me.

The ob in practice with my hospital mw is from Australia. She did homebirths there, and I'm assuming that's where she caught the breeches. She doesn't do either one here, no exceptions. (She is, I found out yesterday, the ONLY ob in the metro Savannah area who will even consider VBACS.) The hosp mw has never caught a breech and can't, per hospital/practice rules, I'm assuming. The hb mw will not catch a breech.

We've considered the Farm, too. As a matter of fact, we've decided that if we have another baby, that's definitely what we'll do. At ths point, though, we can't afford it. I've been trying to convince my dh to uc, but as terrified as I am of the hospital, and as much as I DON'T want a c/s, I don't think I have the confidence to do a breech uc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
How irritating, the scare tactics of so called professionals.

Even if you are carrying a larger than average baby, at 36 weeks, it's not going to be of BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS or anything like that. And besides, it's not unheard of for even full term, 40 weekers to turn at the last minute. I say keep on doing what you are doing and BELIEVE that your baby will turn. Also, talk to your baby... it sounds loopy, but try it. COnvince him/her to adopt a better position.

As for palpating, how about forgoing that and just paying attention to the baby's movements? My babe was breech for a while, and when she turned, I felt her kicks in a different area (up top instead of down low) and I felt her hiccups down low.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that your caregivers can manage to focus on the positive instead of the negative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
aha, I guess the malpractice scares are too much in the states for your ob. I personally am not scared of having a big baby either. I figure I will grow what size I can birth, I had just a small tear with Luke and I am positive had I not worn out pushing I wouldn't have- as I ended up birthing in a reclined seated squat and didn't have the coaching to slow down as I was crowning- I was so exhausted at that point with 2 + hrs of pushing squatting and hands and knees I just wanted the baby out now).

I am not comfortable with a UC either, not at this point, although honestly I like the idea of birthing alone. I really don't want to have to pay a ton of money(relative to our area) for the birth, but I know we want lots of kids and don't want to have to deal with the stress of trying to vbac unless it is medically necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
cross-posted--

I have been trying to watch for movements as well. I always very alert when the baby has the hiccups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
the care of a good chiropractor has turned my baby twice in the last 3 weeks! you want someone who is very familiar with the webster technique. 36 weeks isn't too late, even if your baby *is* big. apparently it works best if you go every couple of days for 4 or 5 sessions, but this one has turned after one session, both times.

good luck--i was freaking out about trying to have a vaginal breech birth, too; it's bizarre how rare they are these days.

*j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Just want to say, I am hoping the best for you! I just found out my baby is no longer breech, but was up until 34 weeks. It was making me a nervous wreck! I was considering laboring for as long as I could at home and then going in last minute and hoping a vag. delivery would work out. But, I guess you wouldn't know what position the baby was in, and that is important.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top