Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to believe this but maybe I need to be convinced...I'm thinking about switching to a more mainstream detergent though so feedback would be helpful.<br><br>
The diapers seem fine, but its the clothes that just seem a little dingy sometimes, and I'm starting to notice little things, like a washcloth with a smear of chocolate on it barely looked like it had been washed when it came out of the wash - not that I expect chocolate to wash out, but the smudge still felt rough to the touch, as if it hadn't even been minimized at all. Also, several times recently I've found clumps of detergent in the bottom of my washer.<br><br>
thoughts?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I didn't like it much either, except for the great smell. I also think I got build-up on my prefolds with it. I've been much happier with CountrySave. It's cheaper, too. Whole Foods own brand (365?) is also good, I think. It smells orange-y from natural orange oil and seems to work quite well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use the non-smell etc bio kleen with no problems, but I make sure it's bubbly in the washer before I add clothes, so maybe I'm making sure it dissolves better? I like it better than the all f&c I was using on clothes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use the non-fragrance BioKleen too and it works great for us (we have a frontloader and that may make the difference). I use it for everything. I also pre-treat stains and always have, even back when I used to use mainstream detergents. (Used to use all free and clear, but not good for a frontloader. When I decided to switch to a non-petroleum based product for baby clothes/dipes, I figured I'd go all the way and use it for everything- easier for me.) I use BioKleen's BacOut on most stains. Greasy/oily things like chocolate I'd apply baking soda and soap solution to pre-treat. Items in my laundry cabinet: baking soda, BacOut, white vinegar, oxygen bleach, washing soda, Borax. I can get out just about anything with a solution of one or more of the above items, won't go into detail here tho.<br><br>
If you're using a toploader machine, I agree w/ the pp who said to put in soap first and let washer fill, then add clothes. That will always work better w/ any powdered detergent. And pretreat stains if you want to get them out.<br><br>
We also have water that is a little on the hard side, but not too much. How hard or soft your water is will also have an influence on what detergent will work best for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Biokleen seems to fade my darks pretty quickly - not a lot but enough that I notice. Plus it totally builds up on pocket diapers, though that takes awhile so you might not notice at first. I ended up saving it for things like towels and sheets, because the clothes do come out smelling so fresh even with the unscented version - but I also run an extra rinse to be sure it doesn't build up.<br><br>
Oh, and I have a FL. I really like Planet as a natural detergent, doesn't fade darks and works on diapers pretty well (though I have found through oh so much trial and error that baking soda works best for all my diapers and wipes, with an occasional vinegar run). Good luck finding what works for you.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
After a few years of CDing, I kind of gave up on the more natural detergents. Although I use 7th Generation in my poopy diapers soaking pail, I use Tide for the machine wash, and do a double rinse. No matter how careful I was about pre-washing and soaking my dipes before, and other clothes too, I felt like none of the natural products were too great at removing stains. Tide or Gain are the only "mainstream" products I buy for my household....we are otherwise chemical-free around here...but when it comes to stains and smells, I just could not take it anymore.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I was not impressed.<br><br>
Liz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts