Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
My youngest is allergic to corn. The Trader Joe's brand yogurt doesn't have any corn products in it. I couldn't believe how many do!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! We don't have a Trader Joe's near us but I'm going to start making the journey to the closest one. I think it will be about an hour each way. Ugh. It's worth it though! I found that our local grocery store's brand of whole wheat bread is corn free! Whoo hoo! I can't believe how many foods have corn. Even my "pure vanilla extract" had corn syrup! I had to spend $19 at Williams Sonoma to get a corn free vanilla extract. That's nuts! Do you buy any groceries online? If so, where? I ordered corn free baking powder, powdered sugar, etc. and everything seems so expensive!

Does your daughter wear a medical bracelet? I was told we should buy one because corn is in so many medicines and even in the IV bags. My FIL's friend has a corn allergy and he just had surgery and the hospital had to make special accomodations for him because of the allergy. He couldn't have certain standard medications etc.

I've seen your posts before and your younger daughter reminds me a lot of my older daughter, who just happens to be the one diagnosed with a corn allergy! She's had feeding struggles since birth, suffered from terrible reflux and was on a feeding tube.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I have a friend with a son w/ really bad corn allergy. Organic Valley milk is also safe for corn allergic.

You can make your own baking powder. 1/4 baking soda, 1/2 cream of tartar, 1/4 starch. Measure in cups to make your own to store, or measure in spoons to use for each recipe.

I have also seen where people make their own powdered sugar by pulsing sugar in teh blender. I've heard it's still grainy, though.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Most salted nuts have corn starch added to make the salt stick to them. Also, a lot of vitamin C has been made from corn. Nutribiotic has a non-corn, non-GMO version. Sodium Ascorbate is the way to go. Oh, and also, corn is in most things that have "citric acid" added (or ascorbic acid). Some citric acid is made from mold, but a lot of it is from corn syrup. Fructose is also corn derived usually.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
: This is overwhelming! Corn is in so many of our foods! Thanks everybody for your help. I really appreciate it!

The store bought corn-free powdered sugar was expensive but I made cream cheese frosting with it and it made a much better frosting. It has tapioca starch instead of corn starch and it was a smoother frosting with a mild taste. Everybody loved it. I should try making it myself in the blender though. What a good idea!

How do I find out which citric acids are made from corn and which from mold? And mold .... ewwww gross! She has mold allergies too but I never thought about mold being used like that!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Corn is the hardest of all of the food allergies to avoid. I give thanks all the time that my ds passed corn. I was so afraid he was going to be allergic to that as well, he was having so many problems when he was younger. Kudos to you for being able to do this!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
We avoid corn, too. It is so overwhelming. Corn is in EVERYTHING! But, I found some great resources that have made this journey manageable for me (dd was diagnosed 2 wks ago, so this change is recent and on-going).

http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/messages (Great people!)
http://www.cornallergens.com/list/co...ergen-list.php
http://corn-freeproducts.blogspot.com/
http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/
http://www.shopbydiet.com/store/corn...referrer=10000
http://www.allergygrocery.com/search.php

Pretty much, we make everything from scratch now and buy our meats organic or from a local butcher where nothing is injected (almost all commercial meats, except for plain Foster Farms chicken and turkey have modified food starch or some other corn derivative). I don't trust any canned foods except maybe organic tomato paste because salt (iodized contains corn) and ascorbic acid is added to everything.

I've put in calls to several companies to ask, but be aware that many customer service reps don't even know if corn or a corn derivative is used somewhere in the production process (for example, some plants use cornstarch on their machines to keep belts and whatnot running smoothly).

If you ever want to talk or swap recipes, pm me. I was in tears when I found out about this allergy and all that it entailed, but I'm feeling MUCH more optimistic right now. Plus, our food is a lot healthier (and I thought we were healthy before!), so that's one thing to be thankful for.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
One more thing. My good friend was strict in keeping her ds away from corn and he outgrew the allergy by age 4. The allergist also told me that the majority of children will outgrow their allergies by 4 (my dd is also allergic to dairy and pineapple, though we suspect some other fruits and possibly soy). I really hope that our children follow this pattern!

(To be safe, we're also staying away from nuts, tree nuts, soy, fish and shellfish, to avoid developing an allergy to those. The allergist also recommended not using commercially prepared lotions on eczema--if you're dealing with that--because corn, wheat and peanut ingredients are frequently in them and can lead to more allergies. We use shea butter or evening primrose oil when necessary.)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for the links! I would love to chat more with you. My daughter is 5 years old, so she's clearly past the 4 year mark ... I wonder what the chances are that she will outgrow it?

She does not have eczema but I have do and ironically, about two months before her diagnosis, my dermatologist had suggested I have allergy testing. Which, of course, since it was for me and not one of my children, so far I've neglected to do.

I'm finding it easy (relatively) to deal with this in our home, but it's out in the real world that it's difficult. School, restaurants, etc. are so much work. Her school is having a cookies with Santa party and the kids are decorating gingerbread cookies. I'm going to have to bake my own cookies, make my own frosting and find some corn-free candy that is suitable to use as a decoration. She's being really good about giving up a lot of her favorite foods (and frozen corn was literally a daily snack for her!) so I want to make sure I find lots of special alternatives for her.

I'm going to check out those links (thanks again!) and then let's chat more!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Subscribing. I've already eliminated dairy (DD allergic), soy (me allergic), and am now adding corn since I break out every time I get any corn syrup. Other corn products give me a stomach ache and make me feel
: .

Corn is SO hard. I am having to do almost everything homemade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts