Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else is considering NOT doing an ultrasound and/or doppler? After doing some random reading about it on the internet (though I'm not organized enough to remember where, links etc.), I've been thinking that we might not want to do it (because it might disturb the baby etc.). But then again, thinking that we might...

However, to complete my flip-flopping, we did end up doing a very brief (under 30 sec) ultrasound at the MW office on Tuesday. I wanted to make sure it wasn't twins, and she suggested doing the ultrasound. Have to admit it was sure exciting to see the little fully formed baby in there (only one!).
But...at first the baby was really still. Then it started kicking and flailing around, so I told her to stop. She said that we don't need to do the full-length US because everything is likely to be fine and they saw the heartbeat etc.

But I'm sure my hubby will want to see the little one too. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I know you're asking for people NOT doing it, but I'm chiming in.
I do one sono in the middle of my pregnancy (20 weeks) to determine if there are any conditions that would necessitate me delivering in the hospital as opposed to my planned homebirth. I like to be prepared. I have had sonos with the other two, and I didn't notice any increase in movement or anything that looked like the babies were being made uncomfortable, so I feel fine with my decision.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I can really relate. This is taking up a lot of kitchen table discussion in our house.

We started out planning on being really low tech, passing on both before 20 weeks.

I was always comfortable getting an u/s if my midwife thought it was medically neccessary, but as time passed, I felt the peer pressure from friends, family, and even MDC to have some sort of "proof".

I had a doppler yesterday to hear the heartbeat, because I really needed that for my sanity. I now am open to 1 u/s after 20 weeks, but DH is really opposed.

All of the reading I had done (although not much) indicated risks of u/s drop after 20 weeks when organs are more fully formed. I confess I feel everything is fine, so I only want the u/s to know the sex so that I can get the nursery ready and because I think it will be powerful and positive mentally. And as my midwife said yesterday, "It has become a standard of care that mothers (even low-tech) can expect.

DH says the risk of "something unusual" appearing on the screen that is probably harmless will introduce needless worry, and that risk outweighs the benefit of my planning urge. I understand that, but I think he has a deeper fear that something could be wrong. (men are often very black and white thinkers.)

Any wisdom? I am undecided.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I'm going unassisted so there's no ultrasounds OR dopplers here.
I admit the temptation to use a doppler is there, particularly after many miscarraiges. However, I remind myself that using a doppler will not change anything. If I'm nervous, I'll be nervous no matter what. I'll fear that the baby died just after hearing... Doppler isn't going to solve my anxiety problem, it'll only cause a bigger problem. So instead, I relax, and wait until I can feel lots of kicks, and get bigger.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is all really helpful. If I remember correctly, the AAP is even recommending that US isn't necessary unless "medically indicated", but as we all know it can be interesting to "see". I don't know what we will do. Probably no more ultrasound unless something seems odd for some reason but I have no reason to think anything is wrong now. Last time around DS seemed small from manual belly exam so the MW wanted me to get one after the "standard" first one. Doing it after 20 weeks is good advice...I think that's what we did last time anyway just because I started getting prenatal care late.

Also the midwife had agreed to use a fetalscope instead of Doppler but now she says we don't even need to do that now that we have firmly established a heartbeat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In my first pregnancy, we used both routinely -- doppler at each visit, and then the standard 20 week. Both times, it only added to my worries. Until she was around 22 weeks, she had a heart arrhythmia which was perfectly devastating to listen to. It resolved itself, which is apparently common, and there wasn't anything they could do about it while it lasted anyway ... so I stressed a lot.

At the ultrasound, they couldn't see this and couldn't see that, so coupled with the arrhythmia, I had to have a second level II -- which verified arrhythmia, but again, couldn't do anything about it.

It seems just about every test I had during my first pregnancy gave false positives, so unless something specifically indicates a problem, I'm avoiding them all.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I know you asked for those *not* opting for an u/s or doppler use. I will utilize both, but all out of curiousity... though with the u/s I don't want to know the sex of this baby (nor did we find out with Madeline or Katherine). If there were, heaven forbid, some issue with this baby's heart, I would like to know ahead of time simply because I am going to give birth in a hospital in a town with 3,100 people. The nearest hospital that could deal with anything... abnormal, I suppose.. is over three hours away.

I have refused all other bloodwork tests. If this baby has downs syndrome or something else, that is of no concern to me.. we'll lovingly deal with that later, but that wouldn't determine any other outcome, so I don't need to know.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
We are doing the doppler until the heartbeat can be picked up by fetoscope. We have a fetoscope of our own if I get it back from db and his girlfriend in time so we won't worry too much. We do not do ultrasounds. Mostly because I feel that they cause unneeded stress. I personally can only handle dealing with something once. That one time I would prefer be at the birth.

·
Registered
614 Posts
With my first DD, we didn't do U/S or doppler. (We had one U/S very early to date the pregnancy and I worried about it the entire pregnancy!). The mw used the fetoscope and the only time doppler was used was during labor.

This pregnancy is very, very different with its own set of risks. But I have to say that I'm still not comfortable with either U/S or doppler. The worry that I'm exposing the baby to waves and the effects on it actually create a lot of anxiety for me. I'm going to refuse the doppler from here on out. We do have one more U/S scheduled - a fetal echocardiogram due to my DD's history of being born with a significant heart defect. But that will be it!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
My main thing is because of last time. Last time I got u/s. I even did that 3-D one. I didnt read until later that the soundwaves can be painful and then I looked at my pictures and they all look like this (and when they first looked his hands were in front of his face so he moved them to cover his ears):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rasoundpic.jpg

Alot of babies dont do that though so I dont know. Maybe because he was further along in the pregnancy he had the capability to do it? I dont know. Or maybe because the 3-D is too long. Who knows but it does make me nervous.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i'm requesting a quick doppler next week but, after that, nothing else. in later months, we can hear the heartbeat through a fetoscope and we see no reason for an ultrasound-- can't afford one, anyway!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
we were thinking of not doing an u/s but ultimately we decided to do it. we did the first one for dating purposes, because if they think that i'm due earlier than i really am it might put me at risk for being induced and having to birth in a hospital, which i don't want to do.

for the 20wk one, there are important things that can be detected that need to be addressed at birth (heart defects, problems with internal organs) that otherwise would be unknown. my DS had a calcification on his heart that they wanted to follow up with so it will be important to me to check out the internal organs of this one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have listened to the babe's hb once with a doppler. After twenty weeks the plan is to use the fetoscope to listen in. I will also be opting to do the anatomical ultrasound at 20 weeks...

This is such a personal issue...you just have to do what you feel is right. For me I really want to develop/encourage trust in my body and I feel like using a doppler when I don't "need" to would not support that. A fetoscope can listen to my baby just fine - there just isn't that loud grainy hb that all in the room can listen to (which doesn't mean you or your partner can't hear it individually). Basically I don't want to feel like when I listen to the hb with a doppler that that is when I feel connected to my baby. We will see how I feel at the 20 week mark though - maybe I'll change my mind (isn't it great how we can do that
).

With the anatomical scan I have to realize that although I am only "planning" to have that one ultrasound it may show something that needs follow up...which means more ultrasounds even though it could turn out to be "nothing".

The safety issue can be supported or refuted depending on who or what source you consult. Do what is right for you once you have heard what others have to say and read what you feel you need to read to feel confident in your decision.

Hmmm, what am I trying to say? It is late...I guess one is that not using a doppler doesn't mean you won't hear your baby's hb so why not use a fetoscope. Two, is that using technology can often lead to more use of technology (which isn't necessarily bad but important to consider so you are prepared); like your partner said they may find something that just causes worry and there is nothing to do about it or in the end it is not significant. Three is my own pet peeve where care providers encourage women to have scans in order to facilitate bonding (which women have been doing without the help of u/s for many many years)...

...I'll have to read this again tomorrow to see if it makes sense

·
Registered
887 Posts
I had a 10-15 sec doppler at 11 weeks.

At 16.5 weeks I will have a ultrasound for a gender check and quick overview of the baby. I won't have any others done after this. My mother, son and inlaws will be present. My husband is out of the state until the end of the summer so he will miss it. ; ( Our parents were unable to take part in our first pregnancy because we were living in Europe. I want to do all that I can (within my comfort level) to let them take part in and become comfortable with our birthing experience.

I will probably have the midwife doppler for 10-15 sec at every other appointment. I consider this use in moderation.

I have nurse friends that have had upwards of 10 ultrasounds while pregnant and doppler multiple times a week.

·
Registered
442 Posts
With both our pregnancies we had a u/s to establish the EDD...just as Michele stated.. having a solid EDD is important at TBC because of their strict guidelines regarding when you can use the birth center vs having to go to the hospital (TBC only between 36 and 42 wks).

That said, we did not have the 20wk u/s with our first and will not with this pregnancy. We also aren't doing any of the blood tests (other than the first screening) during the pregnancy but do use the doppler to check the heartbeat. It's only used for a few seconds so I'm not overly worried about it.

Edited to correct typo

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm also having an unassisted birth and pregnancy, so no ultrasounds or dopplers for me. I could rent a doppler device if I wanted to hear the heartbeat right now, but I won't. I can wait until it's detectable by fetoscope.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I'm not doing either. I really really want to, I had a sonogram at 18 weeks with my son and loved seeing him, but I won't do that to my baby just for my enjoyment. I didn't know that there was any risk when I exposed my son to doppler and sonogram, or I wouldn't have done it. My partner is also very against it- he is more pro-UP/UC than me! I'm glad, because it's hard to make such uncommon choices and I'm grateful for the encouragement.
My son was born with a heart murmur and it cleared up fine after a few months, and in a less medicalized world we would never have known. Instead, he had an U/S done on his heart a few hours after birth, so that they could tell us "it's fine" and charge us $500 for the pleasure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.