Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been making super large pouch style slings to wear ds but we have tapered off. THe other night I wore him for a couple of hours at the Christmas parade and he told me he wished he could ride on me more. But my shoulder, neck, and back were KILLING me the next couple of days. I think we are beyond the slings...
I was looking at that Ergo carrier, wondering if it would waste my money to buy one at this late date... but we are still attached, and he is right; I miss wearing him too....
Anyway, if you still wear yours at this age, what do you use?
Or am I in denial and need to just face it that he is too big to wear?

·
Registered
545 Posts
i think if you still carry him around a lot, the Ergo would be a good option. And do you plan of having more kids? You could use it for the second one too. Another thing is that you canbuy the Ergo, use it a little, and then sell it on the TP - you'd get SOME money back from it even if you use it a short time.

I can also put my 3 yo in a unpadded ring sling - which is very poppable and more economical.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My dd won't be 3 yet for a few weeks, but at almost 40lbs and 41 inches she is pretty big. I do still carry her from time to time usually in a mei tai. I have used ring slings around the house still even though I would never recomend that to anyone. If you can find a nice mei tai at a decent price that or the ergo would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Still wear mine in my Maya Wrap.
Don't have any others.

Will say, though, that at this point it's only as a lark and for short periods. Have occasionally put the baby in the stroller & the toddler in the sling, but usually get control of my senses within minutes and make a joke and hopefully the big one will not start screaming when I put him down.

Will say also that with my others had much less problem wearing them for longer periods when they were already preschoolers. Am in my 40s now, you know, and that age thing does catch up with us all, I guess ... :LOL

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of a mei-tai, but checked them out and will try to make one after the holidays.
If anyone has any good links on that, please do pass them along!
Wow, can't imagine wearing ds in a maya sling now...but then, I didn't ever really like mine at all. Hardly ever wore him in that one, but I do carry it around and threaten to harness him with it when we are shopping and he keeps running away. I never did understand why everyone loves those so much.

: Millie
by the riverside
gently mothering strong Will
1-10-02

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
We use an Ellaroo wrap in wrap cross carry (generally on back, but dh and dd like it on the front - which looks amusing with a 3yo :)). http://ellaroo.com/wraparound-carrier.html

We first got this last summer, and it was a big huge enormous change from the rebozo we were using before. So much more comfortable. But bear in mind that she is still only 37" tall and 30 lb, so it might be different with a bigger 3yo.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamillie
Wow, can't imagine wearing ds in a maya sling now...but then, I didn't ever really like mine at all. Hardly ever wore him in that one, but I do carry it around and threaten to harness him with it when we are shopping and he keeps running away. I never did understand why everyone loves those so much.

Have only worn slings. Most positions, easiest on & off, can nurse while walking down the street, all that stuff, I guess.

Not to mention the fact that our budget precludes buying another carrier.

To each her own, right?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I have only used slings, too. I have tried a lot of different ones, and like I said, made some of my own...I just never was comfortable in the Maya. Like you said, to each her own, and lots of mamas have told me how much they love theirs. Maybe it was because I started out with a super padded OTSBH.
I am excited to see these new (to me) designs, the Mei Tai and also the long wraparounds...am hoping to make something new for my big little boy! I actually have some neat fabric in a 6 yd length, so I folded it and tied him on my back today to see how that would feel...it will definitely take some learning but I liked the way it went over both shoulders and back around at the waist. And the mei tais look really neat, too. I will be needing some new projects to tackle after the holidays, and am looking forward to trying a few designs.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamillie
! I actually have some neat fabric in a 6 yd length, so I folded it and tied him on my back today to see how that would feel...it will definitely take some learning but I liked the way it went over both shoulders and back around at the waist.
That's awesome! Have you seen mamatoto.org? There's a LOT of different ways you can carry your kiddo with a long piece of cloth, and this site has lots of videos and instructions.

And I think a lot of people use unpadded ring slings for older kids because they are easy on/off/in/out. Big kids usually want to be up and down a lot. Wrap tying takes a little more time so you want more bang for your buck (more time without having to let the child down to play only to have the child want up again). Bur for long-term comfort - keep working on those different carrying positions.

And a really great MT pattern is the Frankenkozy. http://webpages.charter.net/dshiel0742/FrankenKozy.htm

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kris1225
And I think a lot of people use unpadded ring slings for older kids because they are easy on/off/in/out. Big kids usually want to be up and down a lot.
Right, that was totally me, when dd was 1 or barely 2. But the beauty of having a 3yo is that you can announce that if she gets down now (in the incredibly crowded department store) you will not be retying the wrap and she will have to continue walking for awhile.

You don't have to say it -- you're a nicer mommy than I am.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I do still use my Maya occasionally with my toddlers, too. I always liked it for the hip carry because I could get the rails just how I wanted them. But then, the MW was really my only sling for a long time, and I loved being able to walk around nursing hands free in it with my second and third. I always hated padded slings because they're not very adjustable (unless it's something like an Ellaroo with the open tail). But I know some people like the padding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.