Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at cloth diapering packages and just when I thought I knew which one I wanted to get, I find a better price - 3 dozen small, 2 dozen premium, and 16 bummis for a little cheaper than the package I looked at with 3 dozen smalls and 18 bummis.

What I am wondering is this new package speficially says they have Baby Textiles prefolds, whereas most other packages say they use Chinese prefolds.

Has anyone any experience with this brand? The Diaper Pin site gives them good reviews, but there are only 8 reviews there, versus tons of reviews for CPFs. (Both got 5 stars...)

Are CPFs really just a myth? Just a type of diaper, and you don't really know what you're getting if a package just lists CPFs?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wanted to answer you because I used Babies Textiles prefolds and really like them. I was given some in the infant size (they had diapered three other babies before they came to me). They are so incredibly soft. I liked them so well that I bought the premium size when it was time to size up. They aren't as soft because they are newer (relatively), but I imagine it would be the same as breaking in CPFs.

My Babies Textiles prefolds are bleached. They seem slightly thicker than CPFs, and I don't believe they shrink as much over the long run. The thing I like best about them is that they aren't as floppy as CPFs, so they hold a fold better and I can get a snugger fit with my Snappi.

There are people here who know a great deal about CPFs and may have info on absorbency, ect. I've never noticed a difference between mine and CPFs I borrowed from a friend to compare. But your mileage may vary...

My recommendation would be to buy a sample of each one before investing in five dozen of anything. Also consider shipping costs when comparing packages from different sites.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sample idea is a good one... I am getting a sample of the Baby Textiles, and I can easily get a sample of any of the CPFs from any of the sites I have looked at... BUT, what do I learn from a sample with no baby to try it on? Should I just wash them a bunch of times to break them in, and then pour water on to see how much they hold? (Should I color the water blue, like they do in commercials? heh heh)

Shipping for the package mentioned, plus 4 more Bummis (2 newborn, 2 small) comes to about $10. Since the package price is good, and they offer a 20% dicsount on supplies above a package, they have the best prices I have found. (I was actually considering getting 2 more bummis in each size, newborn - large, so I would have 6 in each size range, but decide to see how 4 did me in the bigger sizes first.)

I guess I am not too worried about jumping into this without being 100% sure what I like because the market for cloth diapers seems quite hot and selling stuff on ebay shouldn't pose a big problem.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I use baby textiles prefolds and like them a lot. I have the unbleached ones. I asked the same question before buying them, and most of the people say there is no difference between those and UBCPFs in terms of softness and absorbency.
I cannot compare them myself, because I only have those and an unknown brand (maybe real CPFs), but the unknown brand is 4-6-4 and bleached, and my UBCPFs are 4-8-4. My UBCPFs from BT are softer, but I use them more, so maybe that's why.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.