Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pollution, deforestation, overpopulation, the dying coral reefs, all other manners of environmental degradation---and how all of that relates to global warming, climate changes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah - nature is awesome!

About that tusunami ... no body is talking much about the very interesting fact that no wild land animal was found dead in the wake of the tradgedy.

I know, I know this seems petty and like a pretty stupid thing to wanna talk about but those main stream 'tusunami' threads have covered the gore of it all. Just worth mentioning this as it's not really talked about.

Hey, I'm an aussie and we started getting weird dead whales washing up on beaches dead and everyone was saying this hasn't happened in generations. I said that animals started acting strange before a natural disaster and watched more closely ... pet dogs would bark all night (who were usually quite in my street) birds were acting odd and were avoiding the ground, chirping in the middle of the night (???) as they flew in a hasty flock. There were more animals dead by the side of the high way - and I was feeling odd myself.

Here's the only article I could find about it. Am I the only one who finds this 'sixth sense' fascinating? Where else could I get information about this phenomena and what is everyone else's opinion on the topic?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
There can't be so much hate and violence in the world with out mother earth striking back in some way or another. The combined conscienceness of the people on this planet is more powerful than many seem to understand. I feel that humanity is begging for help.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
tsunamis- did you hear that they are going to try to start mass adoptions because of all the kids that have been left orphans. what that means exactly im not sure... i guess make it easier to adopt or somthing. i just thought that was news worthy.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I think it is all so sad. When will people realize it is time to make a change. In your opinion mamas, what steps should be taken first to change the pattern?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
starlite, there have been 2 threads here about the animals fleeing to higher ground. I definitely believe humans could have such a thing (a 6th sense) if we were closer to nature.

As far as the OP goes, no I really don't want to talk about it. Because I don't want any of these problems to exist. However, they do exist and they must be talked about. I read something a day or so after the tsunamis hit about the devestation being worse because of deforestation, but I can't find that article now. I did find this editorial from the Manila Times.

·
Registered
0 Posts
if god is pissed then why would he punish them? Why not some of US? I would say that the average American is thoroughly more guilty of mass consumption leading to pollution and violence (yes, greed causes violence in my opinion, usually) and that the average Indonesian is basically an exploited bystander.

I think you all are really reaching here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Animals have been known to know that a storm, an earthquake, a tornado is going to strike since human kind has known of them. Look at buffalo herding prior to a blizzard. Dogs howling prior to a tornado.

Is it being implied that god or nature warned the animals because they are innocent? What about those thousands and thousands of innocent children? Did nature or god not deem them innocent enough?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee
I think it is all so sad. When will people realize it is time to make a change. In your opinion mamas, what steps should be taken first to change the pattern?
Well - first step would be to stop testing bombs etc. anyone rember the french A - bomb testing at 'Murorua Atoll'? Tell me that was good for the tectonic plates. I wont even go into what else we drill our earths core for.

In short - we need to quit abusing the planet. If we were the parents and little 'earth' were our child - CPS would remove it from our custody.

The world changes one human at a time. Just a thought ...

·
Registered
334 Posts
The whole 'God is pissed..' theory -
:

I remember when I was a little girl and afraid of the thunder, my dad came in one night and told me it was just 'God moving his furniture around'

Please - I do not believe in a God that kills us because he is 'mad'. If you really wanna get technical though: Remember Noah and the great flood? Well that was a biblical story and God promised he would not do this again - he was sorry hence the 'rainbow'. So even by religious standards I don't think every natural disaster is necessarily God showing his wrath. Cute theory though.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I don't believe it happened just by coincedence.

I would be willing to give up on some of my common conviences or use better versions of them.

The problem I believe all comes down to money. It is more expensive in most cases to choose "safer/environmentally friendly" products and services. That to me is just sad.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pie
I remember underground atomic bomb testing HERE in my state, and I frankly doubt that it had much to do with all those children dying.
... and so do I pie, but I do think that disturbing nature's balance is not a helpful factor. Lets face it, humankind is worse and more damaging to the earth than a plague of locusts! We are bringing natural disaters on ourselves ... maybe not the recent tusunami, maybe not the long over due polar shift but we have caused massive global warming (for instance) that is causing major rises in sea levels as the ice melts in Antarctica. This will create natural disaters eventually, and it is difficalt to say how much of this has to do with human intervention. There is even suggestion that deforestation contributes somewhat to these 'freak' occurances.

I was speaking generally - about the environment as well as the tusunami.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
What are/will be the reprocusions of the polar shift? I have heard a lot of talk about it lately but am not that educated in the matter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeah yeah yeah
The worst natural disasters the earth has seen happened long before the industrial revolution.
This is a valid point.

I just can't help thinking we are making it worse with our behaviour ...

... but I am not giving up my modern convieniances, sad, but I couldn't live without my hair dryer!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.