Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still bf'ing dd2 even though I apparently dried up completely a couple of months ago... any hope that my milk will "come back" in the third trimester? I'm just worried that she won't have the patience to keep nursing until September if she's not getting anything... :-(

Also, if you were ever bf'ing before through pregnancy, how did your older child react to the colostrum? Icky / surprise? Or is it generally a pleasant thing for them? Or did they not notice or care?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I haven't nursed through pregnancy (yet) but have read extensively and the milk won't come back but you will get colostrum and it seems that toddlers react in different ways. I lost my milk a couple months ago and have been sticking with nursing because I really want him to keep going. He is barely nursing but is still asking at least once a day. I really wish some colostrum would show up but I usually don't get it until right at the end. I hope both our nurslings make it through.

Wendi

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm subbing and hoping for the same thing. My milk has been nothing but a few drops for over 6 weeks now, but she still wants to nurse before naps (although she doesn't nurse to sleep) and before bed, and once in the middle of the night. I want her to continue, but she seems to get bored without any milk there. I would like to know when that colostrum might come back!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't have any experience with prior pregnancies. DD will ask to nurse about once a day at bed time but it is literally her latching on and off. I dried up about a month ago as well and don't see any colostrum other than a miniscule drop or two with hand expression. I am hoping she will just stop asking in the next few months. We just went through a difficult period of getting rid of her binky so I wasn't ready to take this away too.

Sorry I can't be of more help in terms of advice.

·
Registered
955 Posts
When I was pregnant with ds2, ds1 was about 2 and still nursing although only a couple of times per day. I think around 16-18 weeks my milk supply diminished to practically nothing. He did keep dry nursing throughout, which was really uncomfortable until the third trimester. I am still nursing ds2 who is 19 months old and nurses about 5-6 times per day (I think...I never really count). A few weeks ago I felt like he was dry nursing and couldn't hand express even a drop (around 19 weeks) but in the past week or so it has felt better and a few times he has pulled off and I have seen real milk in his mouth. I think it is possible to go way down in supply and then have it come back, at least according to my personal experience. I am almost 26 weeks now. FWIW, it doesn't look/seem like colostrum.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I'm 35 1/2 weeks and my milk seems to be gone but my breasts recently got much heavier, I'm assuming it's colostrum. My dd has not shown any signs of slowing, so, I guess, so far, so good.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I dunno about going away and coming back. But now that you mention it my breasts got really big for awhile and seemed to have deflated a little bit the past few days? I did pinch my nipple to see what's in there if anything. It's def. colostrum. My son gets on and off mulitple times a day for about a minute each time. It's like he's checking to see if the good stuff came back yet. And i never hear him swallowing so I know he's not getting anything. I can't tell what he things of Colostrum though. Not his fav. I'm guessing

·
Registered
463 Posts
My milk got very sparse at 4 months this time. I nursed theough a pregnancy before without dramatic drop in supply so I figured it was something I was doing (or not doing) this time. I've been trying to eat more and sleep more, and I think my supply has rebounded slightly, but there's still not much there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.