Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interviewing 2 different christian schools at the moment- dd is 4, will be going to kindergarten next year so I'm looking to do preschool this year and kinder next year. has anyone gone through this, and have tips of what to ask for in interviews, what is important to look at?

thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not yet, be we will!

My husband is a Christian school teacher. I was too, before DD.

I would look for a school that's *not* just the public school curriculum - evolution + a bible class. A lot of times, what they offer ends up being academically inferior to the public school and it's not the most challenging place for kids.

We love the classical christian school movement. It's a way of teaching and learning that fits with the natural stages kids go through and tries to be thoroughly Christian in all that they do and learn. www.accsedu.org is a good place to find a classical christian school.

Here are some questions for you to ask:
Ask how they discipline. Some still use corporal punishment, whether parents agree or not.
Ask about how they teach doctrine. Do they only teach what one denomination says?
What do they do for students who are very advanced? What about those that are falling behind?

HTH!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good ideas for questions, I am currently compiling my list.
:

We are torn....our public schools are going to be going to "attendance centers" which means the kids change schools every couple of years; I am not sure that is such a great idea. When we bought, we bought close to the school we wanted her to go to K-5. The school board seems to not take parents wants .....which is redistricting. I am lucky I only have on dd; other parents depending on the grade of the kids could potentially have 2-3 different schools to pick up kids at.

Homeschooling; have been looking into that.

There is a private Christian school we have heard nothing but GOOD things about. We will be running out of time soon too and are kind of waiting to see what the school board here does; they will make all changes in effect right for when dd starts K. I am getting tired of trying to figure out "what to do".
:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kids are so resilient in early elementary school. I wouldn't *plan* to do it this way, but I'd take it year by year. Decide on something for next year, and then see how it goes. You could send her to the Christian school and then homeschool next year or send her to the public school or the other Christian school if where she is isn't working. I taught 3rd grade at a new private school and all of my class had been to at least two schools or schooling situations and they were all fine!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I guess I am just really not sure, I really do not want to be taking her out there and putting here there. I do have comfort in the fact that whatever I don't like I DO have the option to take her out and possibly homeschool.

We have some friends and their son is a year older and was in the preschool program and did great. They lost a job and eventually had to take him out and put him in the public preschool. This kid has really changed. Within a week he knew the "f" word. They also said how he was already so far ahead he was bored. They also related that one of his old teachers was still emailing to see how he was doing. I think this school teaches using the ABEKKA (sp)? curriculum. I had called and asked a few questions already (like #1 the cost!).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I was in Chrstian Private school for about 5 years of my childhood. One heads up to ask about is their policy on accepting kids who have been kicked out of other school districts. Don't get me wrong, some of those kids do much better in a more personal and interactive enviroment, so their behavior probolems lessen... but one school I went to (Christian School) let a few kids who had been asked to leave other schools... (after all, their parents need a safe place for them to go to school too) and several of those kids really caused problems.

Most of the problems came in the form of sharing information with us private school kids that was not age appropriate. Many parents put their kiddos in private to cut down on some of that negative peer interaction, and when my school chaged it's requirments and those "expelled" kids got to come in... My whole world was opened so to speak, and not in a good way.

In the end I was fine, and much better off than if I had been in public school at those times...but it is a fact to ask about.

(Also, find out what the legal age of required attendance is. In my state it is age 8, so legaly you could keep her home and do some school work for the time being...giving you more time to deside on the right place for her).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.