Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my biggest fear! I have a fabulous milk supply now, but I am terrified that it will just disappear one day and I will be forced to give DD formula. Is this silly?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I never really worried about it, but I was also very careful not to do anything to risk it (no pacifiers, no bottles, no other milks later, no meds that could reduce supply, etc)

-Angela

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I *know* my supply isn't going anywhere -- I still tend to worry about it every once in a while. Like yesterday-- I'm getting a cold, my nose was running like MAD and I was worried I wasnt drinking enough to compensate for aall the outgoing liquids. I drank a couple quick glasses of water & had a bowl of oatmeal. This morning I was very full -- and I wondered what I was worried about.

I just dont take anything that would jeopardize my supply - although I was dreaming about SInutab and those sorts of drugs that would clear my sinuses and let me breathe enough to get a good sleep!!

Pam

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Do I worry it will just dry up? No. But I certainly take measures to make sure that never happens too. I won't take any drugs that are suspect without contacting Motherisk first to check. I don't eat or drink things that are known to cause supply isses. MY son does not have soothers, bottles, formula and he is fed on demand (even if it 10x in the middle of the night).

Quote:

Originally Posted by turniptruk
I just dont take anything that would jeopardize my supply - although I was dreaming about SInutab and those sorts of drugs that would clear my sinuses and let me breathe enough to get a good sleep!!
FYI - My allergies are nuts when I visit family in ON (I'm living in NS)... I called Motherisk last month when my allergies were so bad they were causing migraines and asked specifically about Reactine, Claritin, Rhinocort and Benedryl. I was told each was fine while BFing but to avoid longterm use.

Check out Kellymom for more info on which ones are safest and natural remedies as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...headcongestion

LP

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, I am afraid. Especially since I took medication and 10 days later we did have a crisis... Off the meds now and did some marathon nursing, but still worried and drinking plenty of water, taking my vitamins and minerals as well as those pills that promise a healthy supply.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I am not afraid it will dry up. I am afraid that since I have to introduce a bottle he will prefer the bottle when my letdown normalizes (its overactive right now) I am taking steps to reduce the risk (never giving him a bottle myself and never letting anyone else feed him a bottle when i'm around so he equates nursing with mama etc)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
I have a question for "our friends to the south" ... Do you have anything, like we have here (Motherisk) in Canada where you can call and get info from an RN or PHN about drugs during pregnancy and during BFing?

We can call and talk to a professional or visit the website (which of course everyone has access to)... http://motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

Just curious.
I'm guessing maybe La Leche League, but I don't know. Motherisk sounds like an awesome idea!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I've heard of tha happening, but I don't worry much because this is my third baby and I've nursed two through two years each!
I just breastfeed and I don't supplement so there is plenty of milk...

But everyone is different!
~bless~
Joni

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
It doesn't sound like you have a lot of confidence in your body's ability to provide for your child.

Its highly unlikely that you will become so ill that you cannot produce enough for your chid. And if that were to happen its even less likely that you couldn't get your supply back.

If this is a real fear for you then perhaps you should make a freezer supply of just in case milk. Perhaps this will help aleviate your fears if you know you have a back up plan. Then you could stress less which isn't very good for you anyway

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
*hugs* I think lots of mamas are afraid of lots of things (I used to be afraid at the mall that the baby would somehow fall out the sling and over the huge high wall to the floor below, and that wasn't likely at all!). I think it's part and parcel of being the mama. That said, it is highly unlikely it would ever happen. If it does, there would, in all likelihood, be warning signs (like a dwindling supply) and you would be able to take measures against it. But you have everything you need to provide for your baby. You're doing great!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
It happened to me...sort of. Lost it completely due to pregnancy- and my son was only 6 months old. I'm still not over it, even though I can pump milk for him now that I had the baby. I had planned on doing CLW with him, but best laid plans, ya know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.