Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy seats for How the Grinch Stole Christmas. They are so expensive! I want to have good seats so dd can really see. There are some front row seats on the end available, and they are about $20 cheaper than fourth row center. Has anyone been to a show on the main stage? Can you tell me is the front row too close? Are the sides too far away? Would I be better off in a balcony? I can't find a photo of the inside of the theatre with the stage anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have been to the theater more times than I can count. I actually went to my first play there (an older venue) over 30 years ago.

The Grinch is fast and loud and easy to watch. I saw if from the balcony a few years ago with my nephew who was 5 or 6 I think. We did great. I don't think there are really any bad seats but the balcony would be fine...

Have fun!
Maureen

·
Registered
49 Posts
: i just went last friday for the first time w/ my almost 4 yo dd...we loved it! we saw the BFG (the big friendly giant) by roald dahl...i didn't know he wrote this one! same author as james and the giant peach, matilda...etc.

i believe there is a website...i can't find it but look under childrens theatre or the art institute or institue of art in either minneapolis or st. paul...don't know which city i was in...lol but it was a FANTASTIC production...i was impressed!!! they even talked about farting aka 'whiz popping'!!!
i'm curious...where are you, yurtdwellin mama? are u in mn? i'm in milaca which is about an hour and 15 mins or so north of the cities.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
We had season tickets at the Children's Theater for a few years. It's a great experience--definitely worth the money. I have never sat in the front row, we were back about 5 rows and over to the side (which was great!). Personally, I'd take a chance on the front row before the balcony. I like to be close to the action.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I went ahead and bought seats in the seventh row about six seats from the end. They were the middle priced seats.

I am so excited, especially after hearing your positive reviews. If dd likes this show, I think next year I'll buy a three or five show subscription.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meghandmama View Post
i'm curious...where are you, yurtdwellin mama? are u in mn? i'm in milaca which is about an hour and 15 mins or so north of the cities.
We are north of Bemidji. So we will make a mini-vacation of it, and stay in a hotel, have a nice dinner out, maybe do some shopping. We can't wait!!

PS: They do have a website: http://www.childrenstheatre.org

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think you will have a wonderful time!

We love the Children's Theatre!

DD loved BFG but began the show really irritated because it wasn't "like the book." We had a fun time discussing how she would adapt it etc. She ended up really enjoying it.

We are looking forward to the Grinch. If you get an early show it is fun (for us at least!) to combine it with seeing the Minneapolis Institute of Art.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone. I am really excited to go. Although we got a copy of Grinch, and so far she doesn't like it. She doesn't like the mean old grinch trying to steal Christmas. I've decieded to not read it anymore and just let the play stand on its own. I know it will a completely different experience than reading the book. This will be her first trip to the theatre so that in itself will be a thrill. I'll be sure to report back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had a fabulous time!! The production was so good. The guy who played the grinch was amazing. Dd's eyes were huge, and she loved it. I highly recommend it.

Except for the small incident in which I opened a side door and exposed the Whos sitting backstage to the entire audience, while looking for the restroom so dd could pee, it was perfect. (I will never forget Grandma Who's face as I opened that door.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts