Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was little, my mom always did something special for us on St. Nicholas day. Usually this meant candies in our boots, a special little toy, and making crafts for Christmas. My mom also made potato pancakes for breakfast. Now that my DS is 2, I was thinking of continuing the tradition. Today was a busy work day for me, so we will probably celebrate tomorrow instead - a 2 yo won't know the difference

Does anyone else celebrate St. Nicholas day? If so, what do you do with your LOs?

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is our first year to celebrate it, and I'm so excited! We're really trying to emphasize the importance of Advent to our kids, and St. Nicholas Day is a great way to do so, I think.

For their gift, they'll get (to keep the focus on the spiritual) Jesus and Mary dolls, and (on a not-so-spiritual note, LOL) a couple of chocolates. We've been doing (or trying to do) Advent activities every day, so that'll happen tomorrow, too; however, I also found some free coloring sheets online that feature the good saint. (If you want them, they're at http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=118 under the 'crafts' heading.)

I like your idea of making pancakes; maybe we'll do that, too!

P.S. When you said, "Today was a busy work day for me, so we will probably celebrate tomorrow instead," did you mean that you usually celebrate on St. Nicholas Day eve, then? Because St. Nicholas Day IS tomorrow, right?

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I am going to celebrate it with DS for the first time this year. I learned about it last year after the fact, and DS was really little anyway, so no big deal. Tonight before bed, DS and I put our shoes outside and after he went to bed, I put a pair of leg warmers and a little car in his and a pair of socks and a small piece of chocolate in mine.

I know it is really only "supposed" to be for kids, but I like being able to share traditions with him, so I put mine out too. I also fill a stocking for myself on Christmas eve too.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I just filled the shoes! (Well, except in Daniel, my one-year-old's case. His St. Nicholas gift IS shoes; a cute pair or GIngerbread Man Robeez I got on sale). A peppermint sticks and chocolate coins and handmade (not by me) barley sugar candy, a new toothbrush, and a little toy.

Happy Saint Nicholas Eve, mamas!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Yes, I have Dutch heritage, so this is a family custom. My kids shoes are outside of their bedroom doors. We will place a few chocolates, a pomegranite (we'll spend the morning digging for the seeds!), and a note from St. Nicholas about how special they are, as well as a gentle suggestion for kindness to each other. Simple, but the kids love it. Oh, and we'll read the story together as well.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This is our first year of celebrating St. Nicholas Day. I am really excited about it. I printed out a story and coloring page for my son. He is also getting a book, an apple, and some candy. He will be so excited in the morning.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by InchByInch View Post
P.S. When you said, "Today was a busy work day for me, so we will probably celebrate tomorrow instead," did you mean that you usually celebrate on St. Nicholas Day eve, then? Because St. Nicholas Day IS tomorrow, right?
It's been such a crazy week that I could have swore today was the 6th! Oops!

I just put a small organic chocolate bar, fruit leather, and little sticker book is DS's boots. I also left a small wrapped box (with a tiny ornament) under DS's tree (in his bedroom). I like the idea of a letter from St. Nickolas & a tooth brush - I think I'll go add those to his boots!
Have fun tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I usually put a gingerbread man in the shoes, but I didn't get around to baking this year! (the gingerbread man symbolizes children, since St. Nicholas is the patron saint of kids!)

This year the shoes have:
3 chocolate coins (for the money given to the 3 daughters)
a candy cane (St. Nicholas's crozier)

DD's shoes has a copy of CCC's St. Nicholas, the Boy who became Santa Claus, as well as several coloring pages from the St. Nicholas Center.

·
Registered
742 Posts
we live in Germany where everyone does St Nicholas!I love the emphasis on preparing for the holiday and not just shopping shopping shopping! In Germany, Advent calendars and adevent wreaths are everywhere! CHristmas markets are so neat...I love Germany!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had never heard of it until my daughter was born on Dec. 6. It sounds fun to celebrate, but I usually have so much to do to get ready for her party, that I don't prepare for it. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm from Milwaukee, where it is very common to celebrate, so we always did growing up. Where we live now, I don't know anyone else who does, but we've kept up the tradition.

We fill stocking instead of shoes. I always put an orange or clementine in the toe, a little candy, a packet of nuts or other snacks, a peppermint stick, and a small gift or two. This year the kids got new discs for their view master and a couple little wooden toys. We do this in place of stocking stuffers on Christmas.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
We always celebrated growing up. We'd get some little toy in our shoe. You were supposed to put the shoes outside but we always put them between the screen and the regular door. At school (Catholic school) we'd get a little bag with an orange, an apple and a nut.

I forgot to tell my DD ahead of time. She's almost 3. I kept asking her where her new shoes were and she didn't know (or care LOL). Finally I showed her where they were with the little gifts inside and she said "OHHHHHHH, my treasures!" She was clearly delighted and surprised.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
We have a lot of German heritage on both sides, so we are thinking of starting this tradition when DD is a little older. We also want to celebrate Martinmas/St. Martin's Day for many of the same reasons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.