Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took us 4 weeks to come up with a name for our daughter after she was born. She is now 3 1/2 months old. And I still can't get used to her name.
It doesn't seem right. There are a couple other names that keep running through my head and sometimes I slip and call her one of those names.

Has this happened to you? Did you end up changing the name of your child? How old were they when you changed the name? How did your family react? How about your other kids?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I did not but TWO of my good friends did.

My friends were definitely teased about doing it, by their friends and family... but neither regrets it. (one changed dd's name from Emilia to Julia, the other changed ds from Ethan to Matthew)

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Well, this is not the same but it is, sort of. Our DS#1 has a long name (five of them, actually), and the acronym of his names is what we were originally going to call him, as it is actually a pretty cool name ... in Hebrew, that is. In English it's just a bunch of letters strung together that aren't even pronouncable.

Soooooooo ... at the time his name was officially given (at a religious service), I was in the very back of the room so no one saw the look on my face when after the official naming, DH announced to everyone that the acronym is *not* what we were going to call him, but the actual first of the five names.

I was bummed.

So anyway, on DS#1's birth certificate we put the first name and then the initials of the other names, without actually realizing the significance of that, so now his legal "middle" name is, well, unpronouncable. I keep meaning to change it to a particular one of his middle names, but keep putting it off ...

Sigh

You can change it for your own comfort, but just remember that there's paperwork involved, too.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
We were "fortunate" in that we had 9 months to decide on a final name due to our adoption status... The first name was a sturdy Mandela from long before his birth to the present, but his middle names changed several times! (he has 2 of those). In fact, when I feel the need to call him by all three of his names it often comes out "Mandela Charmaine Bertha" :LOL because I'm used to his sister's names!! Mandela Robert Davis just doesn't roll off my tongue

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Yep...totally know how you feel. I think it stems from the fact that dh "thought of" the name and not me. We "discussed" girl names ( we totally agreed on the boy name we had picked out) till we were dead in the face and we couldn't agree. We then named her on day 4 when I finally let dh have his favorite name over mine. I don't even think that I would name her what I wanted now, and I doubt that I will change her name now either, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I kept telling dh that I didn't hate the name, but I wasn't in love with it like I was with ds's name, when we picked it. I suppose as her personality continues to emerge that her name will become more 'her' and I will grow to love it. It just doesn't feel right to me right now and she will be 4 months old on Friday. <<<Sigh>>>

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
A friend of mine changed her kids' names from Anastasia to Acacia and Mylia to Amala. Both of these changes happened when the girls were a few months old. Everyong thought it was weird for a while. Then they all forgot about it and the kids' new names didn't seem new anymore.

If you don't feel comfortable with your daughter's name, I see no reason not to change it.

Namaste!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.