DD has her 4 month appt tomorrow (even though she is almost 5 mos
) and although I had previously made up my mind that I was going to do NO more vaxes, I'm starting to panick about the Hib.
Here's a little history. My husband has systemic lupus (an autoimmune disorder). We had originally decided to delay vaxing until 2 to give her system time to mature. The [email protected]
hospital gave her a hepB w/o our consent
: And then at her 2 month appt our pedi (who is very supportive of our choice to delay given the medical history) suggested we do the Hib and Prevnar because they can be serious diseases and she said that the conjugate shots didn't show a correspondance with autoimmune diseases. At that point, I hadn't yet found MDC or done any research on it.
I for sure do not want to continue the Prevnar, but I am starting to get scared into maybe getting the Hib. First it was because I read a story in Brainchild magazine about losing a child. The woman's baby had died of meningitis (it didn't give any other details) But then I thought, well, DD is breastfed and doesn't go to daycare, so she doesn't need it. But then last night when I was looking through the archives (unfortunetely, there isn't much regarding the Hib vaccine) I found a few posts that put the fear back into me. I will cut and paste:
"My nephew nearly died of Hib at the age of six weeks, and he was fully breastfed and not in daycare."
"Sounds like you already made your decision, but I thought I'd post for other people who are interested in HiB: My dd had this a few months ago. She is breastfed, in home daycare with one other kid who is fully vaxxed"
"I think the above statement is unfair and incorrect. I watched my dear friend's ds fight meningitis as an infant and he was unvaxxed and bf. He was a week old and he almost died. It was a blessing that he was bf because I have no doubt it saved his life. When he spiked a high fever the spinal tap showed that his little body had already mounted such an immune response (hence the fever - yay bf) So while I'm all for skipping HIB if that's your inclination - I can attest to the fact that not all meningitises are a result of "deviating" from best practices."
Now I just don't know what to do and I'm afraid I might get talked into getting the Hib tomorrow. In fact, I think I might actually feel better about things if she did at least have the Hib.
My dd is exclusively BF, and I plan on delaying solids and extended nursing. She doesn't go to daycare, but we go to playgroup once a week and none of the other kids there are vaxed.
Can getting one vax really be that bad? I haven't really heard much about problems with the Hib vaccine itself......