Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really really torn. I never expected to have any milk. Then it came in. I prepared so hard during this pregnancy to have milk, and now I do. I feel wierd pumping, but have a desire to do so. Anyone else? I have not started yet, because I am not sure of why the desire. (Oh I did relieve some pressure but nothing serious.) Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I didn`t pump too much after my loss but I did have a still nursing almost 3 year old. I had actually tried to wean him when I was pregnant but I nursed him for a few months after we lost our son. I know that`s totally different but there may be a reason you feel like pumping right now. There`s nothing wrong with doing whatever you feel like doing right now. It may be easier on your body during this time too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I delivered my daughter stillborn four weeks ago and I very much wanted to pump and donate my milk to a milk bank. It seemed like a way to make this all not in vain. I sooo badly wanted to do this but unfortuantley my body didn't cooperate. I tried pumping for a long time and my got nothing. My breasts were just so engorged. It was like a final betrayal by my body.

ANyway - you can pump and start freezing the milk and check out milk banks to see if any would accept your milk.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Cristina,
I did consider pumping, and actually did when my son was still at hospital, but I couldn't get my self to continue, at the time it was too much for me, as my body was really weak and I could feel the pumping was taking a toll on me, physically.

But the thought hasn't left my mind, I just think it would have been easier had I known someone who would take the milk "as is", because dealing with the milk bank here was full of requirements and paperwork I didn't have the energy or time to comit to.

I'd say, if you have the desire, go for it. I know how sad it is to have your breasts full and no baby to benefit from it.

Elena

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I pumped for about 6 weeks. At first I was so scared of the milk coming. I didn't want to have that to remind me of my loss but i decided that it would be less painful to pump and then wean and also that it would help my body recover. I got a good deal on renting an electric pump and I pumped every few hours at first. Pumping was hard and sad thinking that it should be my baby rather than a machine at my breast but at the same time pumping made me take 15 minutes or so every few hours to just sit and think or read one of the books i had on pregnancy loss. I also collected the milk and donated it to a milkbank in CO for preemies and other sick babies whose mothers can't or won't breastfeed/pump for them. I weaned down to only pumping a few times a day and then slowly weaned compleatly without any pain. For me it was the right decision. I am really glad that i did it. It was a pain sometimes and it was definetely a little tough but i think that it was really good for my grief process. I was lucky to have great midwives who helped me find info on the milkbank. If donating is something you would consider - you might ask your doc or a midwife if they know about it. I could also get you info if you PM me. I don't always have time to keep up with the boards but i would notice a PM and respond.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by berkeleyp
if you PM me. I don't always have time to keep up with the boards but i would notice a PM and respond.
I tried to PM you but your message box is full. Post when I can email you or PM you. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Follow your heart mama.
I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter.
After my daughter was born, I nursed my almost three year old, but it was not enough. I needed the milk to flow, really flow! It was a primal need. So I pumped for just over two months. It was difficult at times, as it was a reminder of what I was missing. I was able to donate my milk to a baby in need, and this was healing, but at times I felt it was a betrayal to my daughter, I so needed to nurse a baby. But I think it was very helpful to my emotional and physical healing to let the milk flow, and did it until I felt the need to stop. My three year old continued to nurse as well, but she was on her way to weaning, so did not nurse a lot. I think I would have had a lot harder time, had I not pumped.
Wishing you peace and healing.
Brandi

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have not had the experience but I do know that I would have been terribly grateful to any mom who donated milk to me when we needed it. Call the NICU at Loma linda and see what their procedures are for donation, if you feel up to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.