Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a small apartment building with shared laundry facilities. I would really love to cloth diaper, but am not so sure how it would work out not having our own washer & dryer in the house.

has anyone on here made it work?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
This is what I have to do while staying at our condo. The washers here are JUNK. No hot water, no extra rinse, no pre rinse nothing. I end up washing them by hand because the washers don't get them clean at ALL. Other than that though I can't think of any issues.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I wash in a shared laundry at my apartment complex. Its fine for us. Many of my neighbors do the same. We have front-loading washers and pretty good hot water. I can't do all the fancy maneuvers everyone describes, instead I simply wash twice on "whites" (hot wash, cold rinse), the first time with a small measure of soap, the second time with little or no soap, but the bleach compartment filled with white vinegar.

I used Imse Vimse disposible liners and so my diapers aren't poopy (you can flush the liner with the poop as needed, can was and reuse the liners if just pee).

We have a nice big laundry line as part of our laundry set-up, and I hang out the dipes.

Nobody has ever complained (or frankly, even noticed it).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
oh, and something to consider is that a "simple" diaper system might be easier if you aren't doing it in your own home. Prefolds are, in my experience, easier to wash and they dry really fast. If you have waterproof covers you can just handwash after diaper changes and hang them up inside, and then you don't even have to really fuss with covers in the wash. (or wool, which I handwash anyway).

·
Registered
135 Posts
We have a shared laundry facility at our co-op. For the most part it has worked out well, although it took me a while to figure out how to use the frontloaders so that there is no soap buildup. The only problems so far have been

1. Some people get a bit cranky about the amount of time laundry takes. With a baby you have much more laundry. I used to do about 3 loads a week, now I do 1-2 loads every second day. We have offered to pay extra electricity costs but some people are just curmudgeons

2.Sometimes the soap other people use doesn't get completely rinced out. I run a bucket of water through the soap slot to try and get rid of the residue. Sometimes I forget

3. This one bugs me. People use scented dryer sheets. They coat the diapers even if you don't put them in the machine. And the yucky scent gets on the diapers. I boil the inserts/prefolds to get rid of the oils, but I think I will have to soon treat the pocket covers.

I agree with the other post that said simple is best. That said I love the pockets for naps/trips outside the house.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We are in a apartment with a shared washer and dryer. DD is only 6 months so she is still EBF and I just throw all of the diapers (BG's 3.0) in the wash, wash on hot and then dry. Sometimes I do a cold and then hot wash. That's it. Haven't had a problem yet. If you are worried about people complaining just wash during the week day and make sure to set your timer so you know exactly when they are done so you can switch them to the dryer or take them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.