Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a picture of what's realistic. Long story short, DD is almost 5 months, and I was mostly dairy-free since birth because we anticipated a dairy intolerance (DS had that problem). But she developed reflux anyway and it got increasingly worse, by 4 months she wasn't gaining weight very well. I decided to cut out ALL dairy, even baked goods, as well as soy and egg, and we saw some improvement. I felt there was still room for more improvement so a few days ago I cut out wheat, citrus, nightshades, most vegetables other than squash and greens, all fruits other than peaches/pears. I'm not quite on the classic elimination diet, but pretty close. I'm mostly eating quinoa, rice, grilled meat, sweet potatoes, greens, and peaches. DD's spitting up is maybe 10-20% of what it's been, but still present. She's not jamming her hands way into her mouth anymore, or needing to be carried around belly-down, so I can tell she feels much better. I'm just wondering if we can eliminate the spitting up or if this is about the best we can hope for, for now. I'm planning to do this for two weeks and slowly add foods back to see what she can tolerate.

Now the bad part. I'm STARVING all the time. I feel like I could eat a 5-gallon bucket of quinoa and still feel hungry. My sense is I'm not getting enough fat but I'm not sure what food to get it from and how to incorporate it into the foods I currently eat. The obvious choice, avocado, is out because I'm allergic. I've been taking my daily teaspoon of cod liver oil in peach juice
. I also have been eating sunbutter on rice crackers. But I think it's not enough. Would coconut oil help? Maybe I could mash the sweet potatos with that? Any ideas?

Besides being hungry and cranky, my supply, which has never been abundant, is lower than ever. So DD is hungry. She's cuing to feed frequently, but most times I don't feel or hear much of a letdown (you know where you hear the rythmic swallowing). If I do have a letdown it's like 10-15 seconds of flow and then she's frantically sucking again. She gets frustrated after a while and stops trying. I feel like I've traded one problem for another -- milk she can't keep down, versus milk she can't get at all.

I'm drinking a lot of water. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
You need some kind of oil, that's essential to any elimination diet. We did canola b/c we suspected an olive issue (yes, my son was that bad). I fried a lot of my foods, it upset my stomach at first, but I got over it. I sauteed things in it, etc, it was a huge part of my diet and rightfully so. What good is doing the diet if you are not feeling well and you're not making enough milk for your baby? At my lowest I was down to 4 foods and he did wonderfully, w/ the help of reflux meds. Babies are going to spit up, you can't cure that in most cases. Does he has pain associated w/ his spitting up? My last 2 children have had reflux as a seperate issue from their allergies. Pinpointing their allergies allowed the meds to work at their fullest though, which was fabulous, but it was still a seperate issue that needed to be treated medicinally. Evan was on reflux meds till he was 21 mos old. Ilana only needed it for 6 and I think it was b/c we had a better grasp on her allergies early on and her meds etc.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She doesn't seem to be in pain. We had her on prevacid for 3 weeks but I wasn't quite sure it was a good idea. It seems the only point of it is to reduce acid. I don't get the sense that stomach acid is her real problem. The prevacid has lactose in it so I was concerned it was aggravating her issues. I took her off that at the same time I dropped soy, wheat etc so I'm not sure which thing made the difference. We have a scrip for zantac also which is supposed to be dairy-free but I heard it's hard to get babies to take and I'm not sure it's needed.

Thanks for the tip about frying in canola oil.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Was she any better on the Prevacid? I would give the Zantac a try if I were you....if she's having pain every time she nurses, that's a dangerous path to be heading down. Babies who associate nursing with pain will often avoid feeding until they have issues with weight gain.

It's not hard to get babies to take Zantac - it just has a peppermint flavor that they don't love, but it's not much medicine and it's only twice a day. The typical starting dosage is 0.8mL which is a very small amount of liquid. You just squirt it in the mouth with a syringe.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't seem like she's in pain. Hard to say. I get the sense she's not a complainer, like it would have to hurt a lot before she'd be real vocal about it. But I could tell she was uncomfortable before, she was fussy and antsy and had crying periods where she could only be soothed by being carried around face-down with her belly along my forearm. She's not acting that way anymore. The weight gain problem was that, before I changed my diet, she was throwing up considerable volume after every time she fed. There's a lot less volume now, but still enough to concern me.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Only you can know what you want to do, but if it were me and I had a child who was gaining appropriately and not in pain, I wouldn't eliminate anything else and I'd try to add more stuff back in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi there--so sorry you're going through this!
I also have a refluxer--
check out this forum: www.infantreflux.org/forum
It has helped me tremendously.

I used olive oil and lots of it on TED (total elimination diet). If you add in winter squash you could make pumpkin seed butter--lots of good fat there! I was never hungry--ate a lot of sweet potato 'fries' and turkey.

One mom on the above forum was able to completely stop the reflux with the diet. Only one mom.

PM me if you want to know more about using HCl as a supplement (to increase stomach acid--it sounds backwards but actually nearly stopped finn's reflux altogether. we were able to take him off the prevacid!

I highly recommend the infant reflux forum...
hang in there!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Give it a few weeks. It can take longer than a few days for the offending food to get out of her system if she's been reacting to something you just cut out.

And there IS a certain amount of spitting up that may be "normal" for any 5 month old so if its dowm 80-90% that is wonderful and is a cause for celebration!

In the meantime - you must make your nutrition a priority! Allow yourself to eat as much of the safe foods as you want. I liked frying sliced squash which added needed fats. I was very hungry the first few days of the TED too - I think it is a symptom of going through withdrawl of foods that we are either psychologically or maybe even physically addicted to! It does get better after some time. I have found that the TED was like a detox for my system too and when I added foods back in even though I was watching DS for the reaction, I noticed I felt different too when eating said food. It was weird because I didn't think I had any food issues!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.