Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about this but never done it. I was reading that you need to use Castor Oil. Anyone use something different (I don't have castor oil)? I have flaky skin (that needs exfoliation), how does this cleansing method help (or not) with that?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I did it for a few weeks, and while it did help to remove some of my blackheads, it did absolutely nothing to exfoliate, instead making somewhat of a glue of my dead skin cells. I switched to using baking soda and raw honey to cleanse, then tone with diluted lemon juice and moisturize lightly with coconut oil. I have skin that turns over VERY rapidly and I need daily exfoliation to keep up with it. The BS and honey method has been great so far. I think it probably wouldn't hurt to add the OCM to this routine once a week or so but I definitely couldn't do it as my sole cleansing method, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I use a scrub made from olive, coconut and jojoba oils. It also contains sea salt and honey. Best of all worlds!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I alternate between washing with olive oil and washing with honey. I have used a honey and ground almond recipe in the past that worked well.

Aven

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have very dry and flakey skin and suggest those with dry skin to use very little or no castor oil. Castor Oil is very drying, but great for black heads.

I find for my skin Olive mixed with other oils like Macadamia Nut or Green Tea Seed oil work much better. Each person has their perfect blend, you can try most food oils.

For scrubing I make a mask/scrub of strawberries, honey, oats, and ground almonds. But an easy method is raw or turbinado sugar with some olive or other oil used as a scrub to get rid of flakes.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I tried olive oil but too oily for my skin. Now I use jojoba oil (rub in and let steam in shower then rinse off w/the hot water), then scrub w/baking soda, then scrub w/sugar and honey mixture. Doing all 3 steps cleans but also leaves enough of the jojoba oil on my skin that I don't need any extra moisturizer.

Works really well for me. I notice that if I skip any part of the steps I will start breaking out. My skin really likes the process I guess.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have really dry, flaky skin and I use a mix of 3 parts extra virgin coconut oil to 1 part castor oil with several drops of rose EO added to it. I find that the cloth I use to remove the oil gives me enough exfoliation to get rid of any flakes. I moisturize my entire body with jojoba oil, so I'll use a couple of drops on my face, as well, when I feel I need it. If I feel really dry I'll do a honey mask once a week or so, in addition to the OCM. My skin is radiant! It's amazing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts