Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a few older fitteds months ago , I have a few prefolds too, now my older fitteds that were given to me are wearing out , we are broke right now and I have to get new diapers soon. Using all prefolds are looking really good to me right now since that's all we can hopefully afford.

For all of you only prefolds users, do you find you get burnt out using prefolds all the time and having to fold and pin each time? That's one of my fears is getting tired of folding and pinning (i hate snappis!) but, I really have no choice, I have to diaper this way, but thought I would ask anyways!

Also how many prefolds for 12 month old baby? Would 36 be enough and wash every two days? I don't want to have to wash everyday. I do love how prefolds seem to last and last and wash up great. The fitteds that were given to me had been through at least one other child and are almost non existant now, but the prefolds that were given to me have been through 3 other children and look perfect!

So any prefold users out there and love them?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I just switched back to almost all prefolds (except for a few fitteds we use at night that are working and I'm not motivated to get rid of). I'm pin-phobic (though I'm trying to learn), but I snappi coverless around the house, or tri-fold in a cover. I got sick of stuffing pockets, trim AIOs are expensive and don't hold my heavy wetter, and I was too cheap to get a whole stash of fitteds, and didn't want to hassle with changing my fitted stash if my son changes shape as he grows. You could always get more prefolds and try using them 100%, then if you get sick of them, you aren't out too much money and can always use them for backups. There are lots of used prefolds on the TP and diaperswappers recently, if you want to save more and avoid the hassle of prepping new ones. I think 36 would be plenty. I have 26, but my DS is in sposies
: at daycare during the week.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have only used prefolds for all three of my children. I don't pin, I trifold then lay in a Prowrap.

I have 2 in dipes now. I have 2 dz for DS and 36 for DD, and I do dipes every 3 days.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We used prefolds almost exclusively for our first and that worked just fine. I was also spoiled and had a diaper service so washing only involved the covers. But I like that it is super economical and it totaly can work for the long-term. I think one of the reasons I ended up trying other stuff because it was just so fun to find and try new diapers. Cding can be just so addicting.

I really like prefolds with prowrap covers, they are my favorite covers next to nikky's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Only prefolds, pins and Dappi "rubber" pants. I have 36 and 10 pants and every 3 wash days is perfect.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We exclusivly use prefolds and love it. We used to trifold with our nikky's (and still do when we go out) for a long time, but in the last few months have decided to let her go coverless around the house and just pin or snappi it. It's great for her because I always know right after she has peed and can change her right away. We have 2 dozen prefolds and wash every couple days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We use prefolds almost exclusively. Like pp said the only reason we have anything else is because they looked like so much fun! But we still have mostly prefolds and we use plastic pants. We have two bummis originals that we love and I'm in the process of tracking down a couple more.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerlowyn
I have only used prefolds for all three of my children. I don't pin, I trifold then lay in a Prowrap.
Same for me, for my 2 kids.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use mostly prefolds, too. We have a thirteen m.o. and we use about two dozen, wash every two-three days. I was attracted to fitteds when I didn't have them but after I made a dozen I hardly ever use them. We use Litewraps so they aren't very snug, we have to snappi when using a cover. However, I saw a really good deal on snug fitting covers which you wouldn't need to pin or snappi, similar to Proraps, on www.babycottonbottoms.com. They're called Green Earth wraps and they're $6 each. I have really come to enjoy prefolds since there are many different ways to fold them and they are very simple to clean, no elastic legs to wash poop out of. Plus they are easily boosted when you need extra protection and fit such a wide range of weights and shapes. They also just look so classic!
Andi

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andisunshine
they are very simple to clean, no elastic legs to wash poop out of. Plus they are easily boosted when you need extra protection and fit such a wide range of weights and shapes.
:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use prefolds and covers w/ pins for my 22 mo DD. Thats all i use. It's so simple! I have about 24-30 and i wash every 3 days. I have been stalking the Fuzzi Bunz website for awhile now because i love all the colors they have, but i just can't seem to break away from my prefolds.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I love using prefolds! I do like snappies, though so I don't know how to help with that. I always hated just laying dipes in a cover. The snappi (or pins if you use them) made the dipe leak free, no blowouts, they could go cover free if they wanted. I love it!

I found that for me, folding/snappieing (is that a word?lol) Didn't take long at all, I used the bikini twist, I think it's called, fold. Ansd it was quick and simple.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used PFs 95% of the time at least. I have IPFs, CPFs, TinyBirds Colorgrown PFs, sherpa PFs, and sherpa/velour PFs. I love love love to pin since my ds can not get them off. I hated PFs when he squirmed a lot (for about 4-6 months) but since he was 18 months on it has been great. They are the perfect summer dipe with wool.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
We used only PFs with our DS and loved them. They hold up so well and continue to look nice wash after wash. (In fact, they get better over time!) We pinned and used plastic covers. Since they stayed in such great shape, I was able to keep everything and will use it all again with this babe. Basically, we'll be able to diaper this baby for free! Can't beat that!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I use prefolds 90% of the time, actually it's probably more like 99%! I love prefolds, and I never get tired of pinning. I think I can pin a prefold on dd just as quick as fumbling around with snaps on a fitted. I'm a lot more likely to get bored with fitteds or aios, because there's only one way you can put them on. With prefolds you can switch up the fold or even trifold if your having a lazy moment, ya know? They're so versatile. I like doing diaper laundry a whole lot more when it's all prefolds too. I'd much rather fold a load of prefolds than a bunch of fitteds or aios or have to stuff pockets. Prefolds are quick and easy, imo, and they dry quicker and get cleaner than other diapers, no worries about build up. And.. I don't think there's anything cuter or more comfy looking than a pinned prefold.;-)

2 dozen premiums is more than enough for my 15mo, and I wash every 2-3 days. Dd does sometimes wear a fitted at night, or if my older girls change her they usually use a fitted, pocket or aio but that's not that often really.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I had a variety of dipes for my newborn, but the only ones I enjoy using are prefolds. The pockets always leak and the fitteds are too bulky. I'm totally sold on prefolds and proraps right now. They are the only thing that contains the messes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.