Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't with my last 2, but would like to this time :)

On my last ddc they had enough Canadian mommas to have a separate one.

I am not really sure how it works to be honest :)

If someone here would like to get one on the go, I would def be interested!!

Canada post is striking so I decided to get this out there....not sure how much lead time it takes to organize and complete the bead exchange.

I am not sure about international mail, but I sure that some of you mommas have had Canadian, U.S., and much further mixed in the bead exchanges
thumb.gif

looking forward to it
biggrinbounce.gif

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I would love o be a part of it. Not something I could be in charge of though. How it has worked in the past is all of the beads go to one mama with a self addressed stamped envelope for the return.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

I would love o be a part of it. Not something I could be in charge of though. How it has worked in the past is all of the beads go to one mama with a self addressed stamped envelope for the return.
yeahthat.gif
That's how we did it in my DS' DDC.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have read a little about this and am interested..if someone could point me to some more info about it I would be willing to organize..it sounds like it would just be collecting the beads, sorting and distributing? Although I totally understand if you would like someone with more participation to be the organizer :) I read daily but as soon as I start typing my two year old is jumping all over me and the keyboard..even this took over 5 min to write.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The way I understood it (did some reading on another mommy board), you establish a budget, count the number of participants, and each participant buys a bead (or several) for each of the others. I think the idea is to purchase beads that have a certain significance to you personally, which you want to share with your DDC buddies. And then you send your beads to one person, who then organizes all the beads and sends them out to each of the participants. I guess you can either send an envelope with your address and sufficient postage on it with your beads, or you can enclose money so the organizer can pay for the shipping at the post office.

I have to admit, as much fun as this sounds, I do not envy the person doing the gathering, distributing and sending out. Kudos to you for offering, Holly, I think that is absolutely awesome!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow I am so out of it for the past two days I have been reading this post and thinking it said BREAD exchange! It wasn't even weird to me until I saw the part about picking one that had special meaning to you... I shall now try and get some sleep I suspect! Sorry to interrupt the convo :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbare0704 View Post

Wow I am so out of it for the past two days I have been reading this post and thinking it said BREAD exchange! It wasn't even weird to me until I saw the part about picking one that had special meaning to you... I shall now try and get some sleep I suspect! Sorry to interrupt the convo :)
LOL! That is something I would do!! Hope you get some rest :)

I did some looking around and basically found what a few others had said. So if everyone is ok with it I will organize. I am going to start a new thread called Birth Bead exchange sign up.

So go sign up in that thread. The cutoff day for signing up will be July 31st. On August 1st I will PM my address and # of beads needed to those who are participating. Then you will have until August 15th to send them to me along with a self addressed postage paid mailer (I would rather not handle money). I will sort the beads and mail out by August 22. I also saw the idea of adding a card with encouragement or special sayings and thought that would be cool to have during labor.

Do those dates sound ok? I want to give enough time for everyone to receive their beads..I am in WI and don't know how long international mail would take? If someone has better suggestions I am all ears (or eyes I guess) ;) I will start the official thread tomorrow evening after everyone gets a chance to give their feedback.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I think those dates sound good. It is good to give it a little extra time because it will probably get extended a bit (that seems to be the pattern with my last 2 bead exchanges). People don't always get them in right on time, you might have a hangup, etc. I think it looks good.

It was always suggested to include a note but it wasn't required.

A padded envelope is good because you don't know what type of beads you will get back (glass. etc.)

Do we just put the same ammount of shipping on the return envelope as on the sent one?

Thanks for organizing this!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbare0704 View Post

biglaugh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdmom24 View Post

So go sign up in that thread. The cutoff day for signing up will be July 31st. On August 1st I will PM my address and # of beads needed to those who are participating. Then you will have until August 15th to send them to me along with a self addressed postage paid mailer (I would rather not handle money). I will sort the beads and mail out by August 22. I also saw the idea of adding a card with encouragement or special sayings and thought that would be cool to have during labor.

Do those dates sound ok? I want to give enough time for everyone to receive their beads..I am in WI and don't know how long international mail would take? If someone has better suggestions I am all ears (or eyes I guess) ;) I will start the official thread tomorrow evening after everyone gets a chance to give their feedback.
I suspect that timing will be pretty tight for international mail. Even if people mail right on Aug 1, that only gives 10 business days for everything to get to you on time, and then also gives you only a week to sort & organize. Note that, for example, those in Canada (largest non-American group in the DDC, I would guess) are currently dealing with a postal strike, but assuming that's resolved by Aug 1, that day is actually a national holiday, so there you're looking at only 9 business days. That's very tight to get something to the US, especially for anyone who lives rurally.

On the plus side, at least WI is close!

Now that I've brought the voice of doom and gloom
winky.gif
I will say that I'm not sure there is a better timeline. You'll need to get them out in time for everyone to get their beads before they give birth, and just going on probability, we'll probably have a baby or two come quite early, and then really get rolling in early to mid-September.

Also, is there some way for those outside the US to get US stamps to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope? I have a vague memory of trying to do that once before from Canada, and I couldn't. Not sure if it's different now. When my DS' DDC did a bead exchange, everyone sent the organizer something like $2 to cover mailing supplies and postage. I totally understand if you don't want to handle lots of money, but perhaps you might consider it for people who are not in the US and can't easily buy US stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

A padded envelope is good because you don't know what type of beads you will get back (glass. etc.)

Thanks for organizing this!
Good idea on the padded envelope, and ditto on the thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah I was thinking maybe I should move the dates up a week or two so the chances would be better for everyone to get theirs in time. I'm not sure about what to do about Canada with the strike and all. I would prefer the SASE but would be willing to take cash if someone is unable to do that. I have not done much shipping to be honest so I am not familiar with rates I will look online and see what I can come up with. I think I saw on another thread something about a flat rate envelope for 4.95? I am excited to get this started (and start shopping for beads!)...I just want to do it the best way so that everyone who wants to can participate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.