Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to sort out several issues with our 3 month old. We're pretty sure food is part of it. I'm already dairy, egg, peanut, shellfish and soy free (which helps) and he still requires high doses of two meds to keep foods down. Digestive enzymes and probiotics on my part also help with his digestion, but not vomiting.

I'm willing to eliminate more foods, but since I'm a type 1 diabetic, I'd rather know that I need to since it's difficult to keep myself stable without a lot of starches (and corn and wheat would be my next guesses to try).

Our Dr. is willing to write a prescription for any sort of testing we'd like to try so insurance will cover part, but I'm wondering about experiences with them this young. I hate to subject him to another blood draw (he's already had one and done great) if it's unlikely to help.

Our older DS has IgE allergies to milk, egg and peanut and I'm trying to be a bit more proactive this time around.

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
We did ELISA when DD was about 8 months old I think. The people at Sage Labs (who we went through) said that age wasn't an issue with the ELISA. Not sure if that's the same for all ELISAs though...

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
I will tell you that we've found quite a few false negatives on the results... but Sage does have a guarantee- that they'll retest for free if their results don't help your symptoms.... I just don't want to put DD through the blood draw again.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going into it assuming that we're dealing with IgE issues (which Sage won't find) as well as other sensitivities which I'm hoping they will find.

Are the Sage results just yes/no or are they ranked by severity?

· Registered
991 Posts
we did alcat which didnt work out for us. the test is unfortunately inaccurate for us because you need to have consumed the food within 3 months of the test for the results to be reliable. we were/are on a really restricted diet at the time the blood was drawn ( i was given a lot of conflicting info by the alcat people, but we finally talked to the test creator after the blood was already taken
). i also was getting the impression from him that it is better served to the person actually eating the foods and not just getting some particles through bm.

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by txtarheel View Post
I'm going into it assuming that we're dealing with IgE issues (which Sage won't find) as well as other sensitivities which I'm hoping they will find.

Are the Sage results just yes/no or are they ranked by severity?
Well, they give you a basic yes/no list, but they also give you a bar graph so you can see the severity of each food. If it's below a certain point, the bar is green (so ok to eat), and above is red. And we actually had a few things (less than 5 I think) that weren't even on the bar graph because she had NO reaction to them.

They also give you a rotation diet with the results.

I did my own ELISA (not covered by insurance, so couldn't afford Sage!) through Meridian Valley Labs. Their ELISA is a combined IgE/IgG test (not sure if there are any age restrictions for them). That might be something to try... or are you doing skin/RAST tests for IgE? That would be the one I would be most concerned with doing first, since those reactions are the most dangerous.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
or are you doing skin/RAST tests for IgE? That would be the one I would be most concerned with doing first, since those reactions are the most dangerous.
We have already done limited SPT and will repeat it as well. Since big brother and I both have IgE allergies, that was the first obvious choice. He just seems to have symptoms that go beyond IgE alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.