Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd will be 6 months next week and is EBF. Before she was born we talked about delaying solids until she was 8, 9, 10,....months. Then we decided to only let her self feed and start whenever she showed all of the signs.

Sadly enough, she is now. She has all of the signs - sits up unassisted and such. For atleast a month now she has been grabbing food off of our plates and we have taken it back from her. But i feel like once she hits the 6 month mark then we won't take it from her.

We are just going to let her take stuff off of our plates. Steamed veggies and let her play with it. I know she's not going to take it and immediately start eating. She may just play with food & not make the connection. But it is a little bit of a sad time for me. Realizing she's growing up.

She will continue to nurse whenever she wants & only be given a couple veggies at meals. I guess i shouldn't be surprised. DH & I are both foodies. There is NOTHING we don't eat, so i guess she gets it from us.

Did anyone feel a little sad? or am i just crazy?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm with you on this one. My son is 6 1/2 months and nearly ready. We decided to wait for his 1st tooth before doing solids. Luckily, no toofies yet!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I felt the same way with the first solids poop nappy
It wasn't fun at all.

Other than that, I did feel a little sad. But I only do one solids feeding a day with DD and DH is always at work for it so I still do all the feedings!

·
Registered
308 Posts
nak
definitely not weird at all! I felt the same way esp. regarding wanting to wait, but dd was ready way before I was. It really does help to see how much she LOVES eating table food though. And she still nurses plenty!

-Joan

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrabblelover View Post
We are just going to let her take stuff off of our plates. Steamed veggies and let her play with it. I know she's not going to take it and immediately start eating. She may just play with food & not make the connection. But it is a little bit of a sad time for me. Realizing she's growing up.

She will continue to nurse whenever she wants & only be given a couple veggies at meals. I guess i shouldn't be surprised. DH & I are both foodies. There is NOTHING we don't eat, so i guess she gets it from us.

Did anyone feel a little sad? or am i just crazy?
nak...my ds was very enthusiastic at eating. he eats EVERYTHING. meats veggies fruits..etc and he nurses the same amount as before. and its been 2+m

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was definitely a bit sad when we started solid foods. It was a symbolic thing for me - my little one is getting bigger - time is passing by - not a tiny baby anymore, etc.

On the other hand, while I was feeling melancholy, my kiddo was totally thrilled. You've never seen anyone so excited about a sweet potato

But it was definitely hard for me, you're not alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.