Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know yet whether I am expecting twins or not, I'll find out in about a week, my gut says no, but it also says "PROTEIN!"

Eggs are delicious - I've been eating eggs like they're going out of style. I hardboiled a bunch the other day, and it's almost like an egg is a side that goes with everything. Having a bowl of soup? Have it with an egg!

I am eating A LOT. A lot of healthy things, but really, A LOT.

I've started drinking milk with my meals, something I very rarely do.

Last, I'm obsessed with popsicles. I've been eating these fruit bar things that are mostly fruit, but with quite a bit of sugar, and I've hatched a plan to start making my own fruit/yogurt/smoothee pops. I wonder if the obsession with popsicles is like the obsession with ice, that is, a sign of low iron? I am taking prenatals vitamins (Rainbow Light) that have a lot of iron in them, but I was borderline anemic before pregnancy, but I don't want to take too much iron in supplements because I worry about having an excess.

It strikes me that I am going to have to be a little more careful, I am already quite fat, so it's healthier for me to try not to gain very much weight with pregnancy.

Anybody else already chomping their way through this?
Even posting about it makes me hungry! Maybe a popsicle.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I can't believe how often I'm hungry. It helps to keep the queasies away too. Yesterday I had 3 meals and a couple snacks, then sent DH to subway at like 8:00 pm for another "snack." I've eaten an entire large container of yogurt in the last 24 hours. Ditto on the PROTEIN. It's out of control.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I am always ravenous early on.... it is my first pregnancy symptom. I just ate my second dinner of the night: meatballs, a big salad, a piece of toast and a glass of milk... and I still feel hungry and I'm trying to think of what else I can eat.

And I only got my bfp on Tuesday.. a faint line, so an early test date. I haven't been pg long, and I'm STARVING.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Surprisingly no.
That was the case with my two other pregnancies though (and I had the weight gain to go along with it
50-60 lbs). I find if I eat a super high protein meal I don't have to eat as much. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this since I'm dairy-free and would rather not eat insane amounts of meat. It also helps that I have a strange aversion to sweets (and I am very thankful for this
).

ETA: I'm only 4w5d so I really have no idea what I'm talking about. This could all change very quickly though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh my goodness, YES!!
My stomach is growling the second I end my meal/snack...it's incredibly annoying! haha! But I do like that I'm eating much healthier now, and now I can have more food!
lol...needless to say, my life now revolves around eating!

Meredith

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
Surprisingly no.
That was the case with my two other pregnancies though (and I had the weight gain to go along with it
50-60 lbs). I find if I eat a super high protein meal I don't have to eat as much. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this since I'm dairy-free and would rather not eat insane amounts of meat. It also helps that I have a strange aversion to sweets (and I am very thankful for this
).

ETA: I'm only 4w5d so I really have no idea what I'm talking about. This could all change very quickly though.
Pretty much as soon as I posted this last night I got up to go to bed and realized I was starving to the point of nausea. I ate a handful of peanuts and went to bed, only to wake up starving again. So I guess I am pretty hungry these days...just nothing sounds good.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I was eating for two before I even found out I was preggo.
Honestly, I didn't think we conceived last month, so I wasn't even obsessing about symptoms. I didn't put together in my mind the fact that my increased appetite might have been due to the fact that I was pregnant. There were several people who commented on how much I was eating, since that is so unlike me. In fact, a good friend, who knew we were TTC told me I should POAS because I was eating so much. I did, and that's when I got my BFP!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The fruit yogurt smoothie pops sound AMAAAAZINGGGG and I'm going to make a batch too, now that you've put the thought into my head!

I was ravenous very early on, but at (about) 6 weeks, it actually seems to be calming down a little bit. I am craving weird things, though. Yesterday I HAD to have ice cream, and DP said "well, we don't have any... do you want me to get some?"

I had to have it NOW, so instead of making her drive to the store, I made my own using my old girl scout trick of putting the ingredients inside an inner ziplock bag, ice and lots of salt in an outer bag, and shaking for 15 minutes.

the result = homemade Thin Mint ice cream.

I would have NEVER put so much effort forth on a weeknight at 9:30 p.m. prior to pregnancy. Lol. I think I'm on my way to the loony bin.

(Speaking of milk, I've been drinking a lot more of it, too.)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I can't make it past the two hour mark before im starving again! Unfortunately nausea has been kicking my butt for the last 3 days and while im starving, nothing sounds good and i had my first vomit session this morning :puke

·
Registered
218 Posts
My hunger is coming in stages...some days I am starving and other days I don't feel like eating anything. And it is really annoying when you are starving but nothing sounds good!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm hungry a lot! Helps keep the nausea at bay - except in the middle of the night. Otherwise I'm always craving protein, fat, and bread. Love it!
Although ice cream is now off the list, makes me feel terrible afterwards. This happened with the other pgs too. such a bummer to break up with ben and jerry.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happythistle View Post
such a bummer to break up with ben and jerry.
Luckily you're likely only temporarily "seeing other people."

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
Luckily you're likely only temporarily "seeing other people."

Hilarious!

I'll take care of them, send them on over with a pint of Fossil Fuel and another of Everything but the....
Yum!

And, yes, BREAD! YUMMY!
The crockpot is my friend, I came home to beef stew ready to go.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I need to figure out some good filling snacks I can keep by the bed to eat at 2 am when I wake up ravenous... so I don't have to get up. Banana is all I can think of. We're gluten free, and I do have one kind of good bread, but it is expensive so I don't want to eat it all the time, but maybe I should make a sandwich so I don't have to get up (other than to dash to the bathroom to pee). Once I'm up, it's so hard to get back to sleep. Anyone else have any ideas? I get so hungry when I wake up that I HAVE to eat something.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whew, I feel a lot more normal now
This happened last time too. I was just starved early on .. and ended up putting on the extra weight to show for it. This time I'm coming off of calorie restriction so it seems like I'm eating an enormous amount, though taken as a whole I realize it's really not all that bad and, so far at least, the scale isn't budging. The nausea is starting to come in today so we'll see how that changes things.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes! I'm starving too! I get something in my mind that sounds SOOOO good. Then I'm disappointed when I eat it cuz nothing really tastes good at this point. I'm craving fruit, and lots of vegatables. I just wish I did't have to make anything. I'm soooo tired and I just want someone to cook for me. I don't like to cook normally, now I have NO desire at all. I can't figure out what's up with my kids...they think they need breakfast, lunch and dinner and a couple snacks throughout the day...
What's up with that??
It's breakfast time and my stomach is starved but I don't know what sounds good. Hmmm...off to rumage through the kitchen.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm diabetic, so gaining weight isn't a good option for me. So I eat crystal light popsicles (my fave is the mixture of two kinds in a gallon pitcher: Peach, and early orange sunrise. Then I freeze my own popsicles) or I eat string cheese (mozzarella), a small handful of walnuts, a boiled egg, or a small carton of sugar free yogurt. I don't find the yogurt fills me up at all so I add some Kashi Go Lean crunch cereal to it, and then it's sufficient.

I have a freezer full of lean meat too, so sometimes I stir fry little steak bites, with some homemade teriyaki sauce (soy sauce, splenda, some crystal light peach drink, minced ginger, minced garlic), and then eat a little bit of those too.

These have helped me keep my weight gain to 20ish pounds, and if I have another 10 lb. baby then I come out ahead.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, STARVING at times!! I *crave* protein and red meat. Hard boiled eggs, steak, oh and spagetti is what I ate today. I was so sick with my other 2 pregnancies so this is so unusual for me. It feels like, so far, I'm able to feel fine so long as I give my body what it's craving. Oh, and COLD drinks!! I made an awesome drink in the blender today you might want to try- lemons, frozen strawberries, a dash of liquid stevia and some water, blended up and drank cold. It was delish! It'd be good made into popsicles also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.