Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've actually had edema the whole pregnancy (one of the first signs I recognized BEFORE the positive test.. that along with round ligament pain made me test).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've done pretty well until this last week of craziness.. when my ankles started to be hard to find :(. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is it truly possible to eliminate/stop this process by eating copious amounts of quality protein?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any other thoughts on edema in early pregnancy (I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow), I also have dry nose/bloody nose issues, and BH contrax already.  But this is my 4th pregnancy and this is mostly normal.  Although with my first couple of pregnancies the swelling didn't start till 5-6 months, but the last pregnancy it started around 14 weeks, this time before the Positive Test!  But it didn't become very noticeable till about 13 weeks this time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Such a pain.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Last pregnancy they told me I started to spill protein in the last month of pregnancy (only showed up once or twice and only very slightly), and they had me eat tons of protein (midwives) and surprisingly by the birth I not only wasn't spilling protein any more but also my swelling was greatly reduced.  BTW my blood pressure stayed low/normal during that time.</p>

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>Some may remember, though I'm sure not all have seen that I have some serious health problems, that require a extremely restricted diet, which is complicating the whole 'getting enough food' thing this time around.  Mainly I have IBS symptoms that we are now treating as yeast overgrowth, and am highly sensitive to 25+ foods (allergic like response of cramping and diarrhea within 30min-2hrs of eating one of those foods).  It's a complicated mess, but we are trying to fix it.. sigh.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Besides bread, and a variety of vegetables, I also cannot handle, eggs, chicken,  turkey, or nuts, hence the complications of keeping enough readily prepared proteins on hand to eat every 2 hrs (as I have hypoglycemia and get migraines if I don't eat often).</p>

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
<p>I start swelling fairly early in second trimester every pregnancy (17 weeks the first time, maybe more like 14 weeks subsequent pregnancies).  I bought non-binding socks on the weekend, am trying to keep my fluids up (honestly, I don't find it helps that much!), and am trying to eat lots of protein....but I am thinking I am going to try (if I can) eating at least as much protein as I'm getting, and reducing my sugars and starches.  That is good for all kinds of things, and I don't think it's going to hurt the swelling, either.  My best swelling day in ages was a week ago yesterday, we had a gathering at our house and I was go, go, go all day and barely drank or ate anything until the party started mid-afternoon...despite having been on my feet for hours and hours, I wasn't swollen.  I think a combination of being super active and not eating a bunch of carby stuff.  As I just posted in the chat thread, I put on 50+ pounds every pregnancy and drop like 35 of it within a week or so of birth...so I have to be holding a LOT of fluid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That would be SO tough for getting protein in...I feel for you.  I hope the restrictions are at least making you feel better health-wise, edema aside.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts