Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a source for Raw Goats milk last week and I am in love. It is so creamy and tasty. REALLY good in homemade chai tea and such.
We were vegan for some time and now that we live in the country we are raising our own chickens for eggs and apparently we now drink goats milk.

Anyone else LOVE raw goats milk?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
OH we definatly love raw goats milk!

If milk handling procedures are up to par (clean, fast cool down, healthy animals), the milk is MUCH better than cow milk...can't attest to raw cow milk since I have never had that. It also makes the best paneer cheese, yum.

As for cooking, I find it does very well for cooking. I even save my whey from making paneer cheese for bread baking. Makes for very yummy pancakes/waffles as well.

If fresh, there isn't any "goaty" flavor to the milk, but I've even had some of the whey in the frige for 2 weeks w/o it smelling or tasting goaty.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
We are goat milk drinkers. I do buy cow milk too because I think it's better for baking/cooking. As far as alkalinity, goat's milk is far superiour, but I still LOVE cow milk.

As far as difference in taste, I hear the bread/what they are fed makes for the goaty taste. Ours is just delicious. The only time I smell goat is when it is warm. I have also made cheese from it

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I would drink raw goat's milk if I could find a source for it! I do drink pasturized goat milk occasionally, as cow's milk doesn't agree with me.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It tastes very similar to cows milk-only better In my opinion. It is so amazing.

The people I bought it from said that it tastes bitter if the goats eat grass. They feed theirs grain and hay and it makes for a much heartier and delicious milk.

It works wonderfully in baking. I have already used it to make a few things. It was phenomenal in my chai tea. I am just so excited that I have a source that is only 20 minutes from me. I am very fortunate.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My goat's milk tastes like I'm drinking a goat. I'm going to try keeping it cooler during transport next time. Fortunately my kids don't seem to notice/care. I care. I can't stand the goatish after-taste.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We LOVE raw goat milk!!!
It doesn't taste goatey if it's fresh or frozen fresh. Even my ds who has maintained that he doesn't like it (he tried goat milk kefir once and it turned him off!
) finally tried it on Sunday and (it was sereal, like I had just stepped into the pages of Green Eggs and Ham!!) exclaimed, "Heyyyy, I DO like goat milk!!!"
I have heard it is the closest thing to mother's milk-- can't beat that!! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to master goat yogurt that isn't runny....

Incidentally, what do people from different areas pay for it? (it's so much more than cow here!)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigknitwit View Post
My goat's milk tastes like I'm drinking a goat. I'm going to try keeping it cooler during transport next time. Fortunately my kids don't seem to notice/care. I care. I can't stand the goatish after-taste.

I'd look into your sources milk handling practices, first. The milk needs to be strained and chilled right quick. The quicker the cool down, the better the flavor. Some claim having a buck in, or near, the pen causes the goaty flavor, well that may or may not be true. When I was getting raw gm, we did an experiment. The buck was in rut and with the does, yet she (my source) still milked out, strained, and chilled as she normally would. The milk was no different that when she kept the buck seperated from the does. She was very detailed on clean, clean, clean and quick cool down. Her does were very healthy and they were pastured with suplimental hay and grain only at milking. These were Alpines btw, so the butter fat wasn't as high as say a Nubian or LaMancha.

A pastured goat will have healthier milk than an only hay'd/grained goat, there are bennifits to fresh that can't be met otherwise. If they are having issues with bitter milk from ranging goats, they need to look at what plants they are eating and eliminate them...like rag weed is natorious for making the milk tast off.

In KS, I was paying 6$ a gal., and actually she used the "gal. pickle jars", which actually come to about 5 quarts give or take, so I got the better end of the deal.

Reese

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
We used to when we had a herd of goats. The taste of the milk isn't only affected by browse ( goats don't actually graze, they browse ) it's also affected by exposure. The milking area needs to be very clean as milk can pick up airborne smells. It also needs to be cooled quickly.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I pay $5 on the farm fro a half gallon. She raised prices a buck since being licensed to sell it, but I still pay the same because I have known her and been getting her milk for a really long time prior to her being licensed. Now she has to be able to cover labeling and such.

These are Oberhaslis, and apparently she has some of the best in the country. Though I think you are rigth whoever said it's what they eat and how fast it's cooled. When I pick mine up she is JUST taking it off the ice, and it is so so good.

ETA: I've seen it in store two places. One was $12 and one was $15
:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
reeseccup-your post was so enlightening! we purchase raw free range goat's milk (and cow's milk) from a local farmer. she told us that they keep the bucks separated from the rest of the goat's so that the milk wouldn't be goaty, and usually it isn't. in fact, it's very creamy, mild and delicious. sometimes though i do notice a goatier taste, and i think it must be that they didn't get the milk cooled as quickly, as you mentioned. age definitely plays a factor, too. the longer that the milk is in our fridge, it will start tasting goaty.

mmm now i can't wait until we go pick up some milk on friday!

·
Registered
603 Posts
We used to drink raw cow's milk, but now are drinking raw goat's milk. we had it one time and it had this horrible after-bite. So we decided we didn't like it...but then had it again (My mom's friend has goat's) and boy was that GOOOOODD!!!!! I couldn't believe the difference. My mom asked the lady why the other one I had tasted so bad (and it was from a farm, shipped to our local health food store about 30 miles away). The lady told her, because hers is so fresh!! I get a gallon a week right now for free! I'll continue getting it as long as she's giving it away!!

I do have to say, it doesn't have as much cream as the raw milk we were drinking. That was like half cream when it'd sit...I don't notice the cream sitting on top of the goat milk as much!!

If anyone has any recipes for cheese....I would love them!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.