Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I keep drinking and drinking and drinking and drinking. I'm even managing to drink water now (although it still makes me gag sometimes and usually upsets my stomach). Regardless, my lips are chapped and I'm still SO THIRSTY.
Anyone else?
(17w 5d, btw.
)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Me too, but I think it has more to do with the cold (dry) arctic front that's beating us right now than pregnancy. i'd be willing to bet that it's a laarge part of your problem too!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, but I doubt it. I used to live pretty far north, so I'm pretty used to Arctic fronts. (I miss the cold.
:
)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Same here, but I found that after the first west coast winter that I seem to have aclimated to the milder weather and am a bit of a wuss. Not as bad as true locals, but still!

My daughter's humidifier, which often doesn't run unless you put it on a setting that over-rides the sensors, has been running non-stop trying to put enough water in the air to get to it's lowest setting, so it IS very dry this week!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Same here, but I found that after the first west coast winter that I seem to have aclimated to the milder weather and am a bit of a wuss. Not as bad as true locals, but still!
: It's funny because it's true!

My daughter's humidifier, which often doesn't run unless you put it on a setting that over-rides the sensors, has been running non-stop trying to put enough water in the air to get to it's lowest setting, so it IS very dry this week!
Well, I guess I'll chalk it up to the cold front then and hope for the best.
I'm such a paranoid pregnant chick. Of course, this is my first pregnancy with hypothyroidism, so I'm even more paranoid than before about gestational diabetes. Not sure if there's reasoning behind that, but there it is.

Thanks for your response (and the laugh).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I've been really insanely thirsty, too, like drinking water all day long. I don't have thyroidism or anything-- all my bloodwork is right-on normal-- so it's likely just a pregnancy thing. I've just been answering it by drinking a lot of water *shrug* I figured that it's so much drier inside (because of running the heat all the time) and that may be dehydrating me a bit.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I had this for a few weeks too... I heard somewhere that being very thirsty can indicate that your body is needing something else... I'm not sure what it is though. Sorry that probably isn't terribly helpful

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've heard that extreme thirst can suggest anemia. Get your iron rich foods, mama
:
Between dreadful cold
: and wood heat, my lips, the inside of one nostril and my throat are all so dry that I'm picking up a vaporizer STAT! I am very thirsty as well...and wouldn't doubt if I'm still anemic. Drinking nettle tea and hot water, half n half, and molasses followed by OJ, this morn.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Well, I guess I'll chalk it up to the cold front then and hope for the best.
I'm such a paranoid pregnant chick. Of course, this is my first pregnancy with hypothyroidism, so I'm even more paranoid than before about gestational diabetes. Not sure if there's reasoning behind that, but there it is.

Thanks for your response (and the laugh).

No problem for the laugh! I drove down as far south as Burlington, WA yesterday in hopes of some shopping and the whole factory outlet strip mall was closed! holy crap people! I know that WDT doesn't have lots of money to plow/salt/sand (i don't think they even know what salt is) but come ON! I drove all the way from Canada, I expect shopping dammit! No one knows how to drive in snow out here though, it's so sad.

If you're concerned about GD, then watch your carb intake for a few days and see if that helps your thirst. High sugars can cause you to be thirsty, but there are SO many other reasons too, I wouldn't worry about it at this point, unless you are feeling jittery after eating holiday treats

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Quote:

No problem for the laugh! I drove down as far south as Burlington, WA yesterday in hopes of some shopping and the whole factory outlet strip mall was closed! holy crap people! I know that WDT doesn't have lots of money to plow/salt/sand (i don't think they even know what salt is) but come ON! I drove all the way from Canada, I expect shopping dammit! No one knows how to drive in snow out here though, it's so sad.
You aren't kidding! I'm a Maine transplant in Western Washington, and it has been a mad-house with only a few inches of snow and ice! There was no preparation which is why everything just shut down.

Anyhow, the cold and the wind have affected my lips, and my skin too! Unfortunately my humidifier has started smelling like cat pee... so I'm just slathering on lotion and chapstick til we can get another one!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

If you're concerned about GD, then watch your carb intake for a few days and see if that helps your thirst. High sugars can cause you to be thirsty, but there are SO many other reasons too, I wouldn't worry about it at this point, unless you are feeling jittery after eating holiday treats

Yeah, I remember my cousin writing home about West Coasters trying to drive in the snow... It was good for a laugh (to inlanders) anyway.

I don't eat much. I'm still too nauseous most of the time to stomach a whole lot. I started on meds the night before last to try to help with that and ended up just pigging out all day yesterday but I'm feeling horrid again today.
Now instead of just being nauseous, I'm nauseous and exhausted and THIRSTY.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:

No one knows how to drive in snow out here though, it's so sad.
what? No one in pacific NW can drive in the snow? You think they would figure it out! I'm in southern Ohio, and we just got an inch of ice. Every one promptly turned around in their drivers seats and drove with their butts.
:

I also am constantly thirsty. I drank so much earlier today I couldn't catch my breath! I feel like I need to put an indoor pool in

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I mostly get extra thirsty late at night, right before bed. Annoying.. because then I'm thinking about how many times I''ll have to get up to pee if i fully satisfy my thirst

·
Banned
188 Posts
LilStar, I could have written the exact same post! I am so thirsty all the time, it is unreal. And I live in the UK, so probably not cold related. Interesting about the high-carb / sugar thing - that could have something to do with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
make that a third with "identical" post info... about 8-9 everynight i'm DYING of thirst! I put a soda bottle outside to freeze(I'm in maine) everyday so i have icewater by the bed allnight... then i'm up i dont know how many times peeing.. i'm pretty thirsty during the day but for some reason dont drink as much, comparatively anyway... I do average at least 1 gallon a day though easily of water plus other beverages, tea, juice etc. I've always been a huge drinker especially while preg.. up to 2 1/2 gal a day at times.

My iron is good(get it in the water..lol) thyroid good .. just me i guess.. 1son and 2 daughters are super drinkers too though. especially ice water!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.